Kungsleden - Glutenfri / Gluten Free

Hi -- I was wondering if anyone has experience doing the northern part of the Kungsleden on a gluten free diet? If there is anything that I can rely on finding in the cabin shops it would be great, otherwise I have to pack all the food with me 😭 So far I've only found this menu which says there is gluten free bread, but not sure if its actually reliable or not.

Thanks 🙏

I´m quit shure that if they say gluten free it also is gluten free. The "knäckebröd" is a hard bred manufactured in big industries and they do not risk their reputation by lying to their customers.

@Fjällkjell Ofcourse I didn't doubt that it was really gluten free 😅 I was just not sure if this item actually is in stock in most stores, because the menu says that sometimes things aren't. Was also wondering if there are any others available that aren't marked on the menu.

Hi -- I was wondering if anyone has experience doing the northern part of the Kungsleden on a gluten free diet? If there is anything that I can rely on finding in the cabin shops it would be great, otherwise I have to pack all the food with me 😭 So far I've only found this menu which says there is gluten free bread, but not sure if its actually reliable or not.

Thanks 🙏

They might run out. Call them and ask? Then you can also ask what brands the freeze dried food are so you can check the ingredients.

Personally I wouldn't rely on the food you can buy in their stores. I need better food :)

In theory you could survive on mashed potatoes and Bullens pilsnerkorv. The mashed potato powder is listed a an item that might run out though.

I couldn't make your link work but
you can find lists of what they have here: https://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/guider-tips/fjallen/fjallstugornas-butiker/

Two different lists but I think you can understand what lists are for what places.

The items in italic are items that will not be resupplied during the season but you might find them in the store if you're lucky.

If you need some special food I wouldn’t trust that the cabin shops has the full assortment as advertised. It’s often they run out of some items in particular later in the season as they normally restock during winter.

@Kimkim @smux thank you both. Fully noted that I can't rely on anything to be in stock. Great idea to call and ask, I'll try to do that. I'll update here if I get any useful info, for anyone else that might be interested.

@Kimkim @smux thank you both. Fully noted that I can't rely on anything to be in stock. Great idea to call and ask, I'll try to do that. I'll update here if I get any useful info, for anyone else that might be interested.

When I'm going to Norrland I always make calls to ask stuff. And often get good advice about other stuff while doing it :)

If you have time in Kiruna (or another Swedish town/city) you can probably find a shop with the norwegan brand Real Turmat, it's food with a lot of energy and they have a lot of gluten free options.

Hi! I did the Kungsleden section Abisko-Nikkaluokta 2018 and I have celiacs disease. Me and my boyfriend (who doesn't have celiacs) brought with us some of the food, but resupplied in the huts along the way. This is what I usually ate:

Breakfast: Gluten free "knäckebröd" from the brand Wasa (https://www.apotea.se/knackebrod-gl...MIo8rRqrDE8QIVRtiyCh3Lsg_vEAQYASABEgJ_QfD_BwE) with "renost" (https://www.fjallbrynt.se/produkter/rokt-renost/). The "renost" is a kind of soft cheese/cheese spread.

Lunch: Some pre-packaged freeze-dried food, for example Indian Chicken Stew from the brand Blå Band (https://www.outnorth.se/bla-band/indian-chicken-stew) with some olive oil for extra calories.

Dinner: We usually made instant mashed potatoes (https://www.felix.se/products/klass...MIzdao8bLE8QIVCGgYCh2pnwnuEAAYASAAEgLmOvD_BwE) that we ate with mackerel in tomato sauce (https://www.mat.se/butik/makrillfile-tomatsas-eldorado-375g). And again, olive oil on top.

Snacks throughout the day: Snickers, the gluten free "knäckebröd" with "renost", nuts and dried fruit, different kind of bars, soups from "Varma koppen" (for example https://varmakoppen.se/product/potatis-och-purjolokssoppa/ and https://varmakoppen.se/product/svampsoppa/ and https://varmakoppen.se/product/blabar-och-hallonsoppa/).

As far as I can remember we didn't have any problems finding something gluten free (for example the instant mashed potatoes, the mackerel in tomato sauce, Varma koppen etc) in the shops in the huts, but we did bring some stuff with us from the start. For example the gluten free "knäckebröd", the cheese spread and some freeze-dried food from Blå Band. I would recommend to visit a large ICA (or similar) in advance to stock up on some gluten free snacks and stuff you might want on the trail. The products for dinner we purchased in the huts when we arrived. With that said, please pack some extra emergency food just in case you find yourself in a hut with nothing gluten free and filling in the shop!

Are you going to walk the same section of Kungsleden as we did?

Senast ändrad:
@elinalicia wow amazing tips, thank you! so these "Varma koppen" are available in the huts and are gluten free? If so that's great.

Right now I'm leaning towards just bringing enough food for 3 meals every day, total of 8 days. For breakfast and dinner freeze dried meals, and for lunch energy bar + snacks. Mostly because I want to have some variety, eating mashed potatoes every night is a bit rough :LOL:

And yes, we're doing the same route as you + the Nallo loop.

Yes, the "Varma koppen" is usually available (as far as I can remember) in most shops in the huts. These are more of a warming snack than a meal in my opinion, but at least it works wonders when you just need something quick to get some energy. Always read the ingredients though (if there's no ingredients in English - ask someone to translate for you) since a couple of the "Varma koppen" contain gluten.

Yes, it might be wise to bring your food for the trip if you want to be 100% sure of what you are going to eat during the trek, especially if you need some variety :) I mean, when having food restrictions there's less room for improvisation. Do you have celiacs disease as well?

Nice! It's an amazing trek. We will be trekking this summer as well, but an alternate route.

Happy trek!

Senast ändrad:
Yes, celiac as well :cool: It's why I'm so careful about it. It's nice to meet a fellow celiac trekker! I bought 2 X 8 = 16 GF freeze dried meals. I'm going to try this trick of moving them to freezer bags to save weight / volume. I hope it works.

Happy trek to you too!

Varma koppen may have some gluten free products, but they are also basically nutrient and calorie free. Their chicken soup contains 408 kcal/100g and powder for one serving weighs 20g... Can't live on chemicals alone. ;)

Liknande trådar
Trådstartare Titel Forum Svar Datum
Apelsinjos Vistasdalen - gå i vilken riktning? Fjällvandring 17
Fotmannen Någon med erfarenhet av södra Kungsleden (Sälen - Åre) Fjällvandring 20
suxxid Gå runt/vada över vattendrag längst Kungsleden Fjällvandring 35
Nallo_Gus Abisko - Nikka utanför Kungsleden Fjällvandring 5
JannicaBonn Kvikkjokk till Saltoluokta - transport tillbaka till parkerad bil Fjällvandring 7
Andreas123456 Resa till Kungsleden Fjällvandring 5
ArcBird Kungsleden, Abisko - Kebnekaise Fjällvandring 0
Sussilull Träningsupplägg inför Kungsleden Fjällvandring 14
Mediumviktsvandraren Kungsleden, Abisko-Kvikkjokk augusti-september 2022 Fjällvandring 36
Lindamariaerika Kungsleden 2022- planering Fjällvandring 26
brigas dyr båttransport längs Kungsleden? Fjällvandring 54
Mumfi Feedback på två turer (Salto-Salto via Sarek, Abisko-Nikka utanför KL) Fjällvandring 3
Anneliandersson Tältplatser norr om Kungsleden Fjällvandring 9
Folkhem Kungsleden på 3 veckor, Hemavan-Abisko Fjällvandring 16
coffee_hiker kungsleden STF cabins and Covid restrictions Fjällvandring 9
erikiiofph7 Myggåtgärder på vandring Kungsleden Nikkaluokta - Vakkotavare Fjällvandring 19
coffee_hiker Kungsleden - Granskning av resplanen Fjällvandring 18
Llama Frågor om alternativ rutt Abisko-Nikkaluokta via Nallo/Unna räita Fjällvandring 9
Sickansmatte Gröna bandet med hund men undvika Kungsleden Fjällvandring 15
vardansaakian Hemavan Ammarnäs i Påsk 2021 Fjällvandring 5
erihyl Kungsleden 10 dagar Fjällvandring 7
tobstu Södra Kungsleden via Drevdagen eller Röskåsen ? Fjällvandring 0
fback Kungsleden i juli 2020 - snösmältning? Fjällvandring 2
23mej Kungsleden- tält Fjällvandring 16
Leek123 Kungsleden till padjelanta Fjällvandring 1
Still Alive Södra Kungsleden Fjällvandring 19
hedtjarn Trailrun längs Kungsleden - packning? Fjällvandring 7
ojhsmith Nybörjare på Kungsleden i September Fjällvandring 29
Ljung_dalen Vandring till stugorna bredvid Kungsleden Fjällvandring 0
JVH Kungsleden 2020 Fjällvandring 11
[Andreas] Snösmältning Kungsleden Fjällvandring 17
Haller Kungsleden Fjällvandring 3
adventurer81 Vandra utanför Kungsleden vid Kebnekaise Fjällvandring 20
elin_a Vattentillgång längst kungsleden? Fjällvandring 4
marusken Bra rutt för lång vandring i Kungsleden? Fjällvandring 5
ludde0719 Delar av Nordkalottleden + Sarek (Kungsleden) i sommar. Tips mottages! Fjällvandring 8
SugarGlider Food and train tickets for Kungsleden (Nikkaluokta-Abisko) hike Fjällvandring 10
Lockheed Nybörjare ska ta sig an halva Kungsleden. Behöver er eminenta hjälp. Fjällvandring 39
Ealof Vandra Kungsleden med hund Fjällvandring 3
Linneaa Kan jag vandra kungsleden? Fjällvandring 65
Lofoten - Møring Islagte båtkryssinger på Kungsleden? Fjällvandring 2
Airfoil Kungsleden förlängning? Fjällvandring 2
Adelanteeee Köptips och vandringstips inför ensamvandring av Kungsleden Fjällvandring 13
Trees Kungsleden in Early July Fjällvandring 1
DinaStorm When is it best to hike Kungsleden Fjällvandring 6
Spof Kungsleden på 16 dagar Fjällvandring 40
Apetass Höga Kustenleden och Kungsleden 2017 Fjällvandring 9
swede43 Kungsleden - Sällskap -Tips mm. Fjällvandring 7
leoerdfelt Kungsleden, ljust i många timmar. Fjällvandring 7
leaska Hela Kungsleden med hund Fjällvandring 8

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.