Kungsleden in May

A group of 4 will shortly depart to walk the upper section of the Kungsleden from Abisko to the bus pickup at Vakkotavare, we plan to walk from the 22nd May – 28th May.

We are aware that during the summer season there are either rowing boats or motorboat crossings to pass Teusajaure Lake. As I am aware that the trail is not officially open during our planned dates – can you please advise whether the rowing boats are accessible at all? Is the lake passable by walking around the shore and fording the river at the most Westerly point?

If there is an alternative, such as arranging a private boat crossing, would you please be able to advise anyone to contact?

We are a mixture of ex-military and all athletic, we treat the mountains and cold water with respect, so please assume that we have considered the risks quite extensively!

Many thanks (and sorry this is in English) & congratulations on the Eurovision win 😊

My advice: Change your plans.

You will probably meet some areas where there is no snow, many areas with water, rotten snow or just deep wet snow.
And crossing Teusajaure? Just forget it! The boats will not be in place, there is no one to offer you a private transfer - and I guess the ice is gone or not safe anymore. Fording? I don't know if this is possible at all but quite surely not during the snow melting period in spring.
Even if you would reach Vakkotavare you would face the next problem: The bus ist not running atthat time.

But these are just the thoughts of a swiss guy hiking and skiing in the area for some twenty years now . ;)
Henning

I agree wih Henning.

The ice on the lake is probably unsafe to walk on at that time.

Lot of snow at Tjätka pass.

You might have to turn around.

Se pictures below
Snowdepth digital forecast
and
Satellite view optical image open water dark blue ice snowcovered is white.

Thure

Screenshot_20230517-212642.png
Screenshot_20230517-221942.png

Senast ändrad:
Hello.
I really agree with Thure and Henning. 22nd of May is to early for hiking in Kebnekaisefjällen.
If you cannot change date then my suggestion would be to aim for a hike around Vålådalen in the ”south”, there you most likely will find snowfree conditions.
To get a good idea of the current situation you can find a lot of webb-cams at this link: http://www.webbkameror.se/webbkameror/kebnekaise/index.php

Stefan

I agree, it will be very difficult to get around in the area this early, and crossing streams may be impossible when the snow starts to melt.
Concerning snowmelt I have found a useful tool for planning hikes early in the season, https://vattenwebb.smhi.se/hydronu/. If you zoom in and select where you plan to go you will find a forecast on how much water there will be in the streams you plan to cross.
1684393283941.png

This is the time of the year where most parts of northern Lappland, and least in and near to the mountains, are unpassable: too late to ski, too early to hike; too little ice to walk on, too much ice to take a boat; too much snow to walk, too many snowfree, bare patches to ski. Rivers and rivulets overflowing with water of the melting snow.
Try hiking in the "Southern Kungsleden", starting e.g. at Grövelsjön or hike around Vålådalen. A much better choice that early in the season ( maybe still too early even there) and you'll find a similar wilderness and solitude as further up in the North. Alternatively postpone your hike by a month.

I value the advice & thank you all for the considered responses. If we approach the lake and find the route immpassable - would you consider Nikkaluotka or navigating around west to Ritsem as feasible options?

You have received many good advices already, this is not a good time of the year to hike that area. Except crossing Teusajaure which will be impossible you may also risk a full stop at some other stream if a bridge has been damaged or swept away by the spring flood.
Further, to the information I can find the bus to Ritsem (which also stops at Vakkotavaare) start for the season on June 15, so before that date there is no bus service to take you back.

I (we) will hike Padjelantaleden the week after swedish midsummer (end of june) and that is "low-level" and even that can give us problem. So in the higher areas it will cause you a lot of problems.

In May in Lapland it can be a good practice to ski at higher levels in the "night" (no darkness) when the snow surface is harder. It can be possible in the first part of may to ski from Riksgränsen or Katerat to Unna Allakas Allesjure Tjätka Sälka and via Kaskasavagge and Čievrraláhku to Nikkaluokta. But melting water on lakes and creeks could be impossible to cross. I have skied those tracks in the middle and first part of May but not the whole way in a single trip.

Kungsleden is probably more difficult or impossible to walk with deep rotten snow and lots of melting water. Singi - Nikkaluokta might be possible to walk?

Thure

Senast ändrad:

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.