conditions up north

Hi again,
I'm about hiking the Nordkalottleden. I''ve never been to the arctic before and there are a few things where I don't know what to expect. I hope you can help me with these:

- mosquitos: can I still expect to find some in mid august and later? if so, how many? would you recommend I bring insect repelent / head net? does repellent work at all for the Lapland mosquitos?

- sun protection: is this a big concern in this region? I'll carry some cream, I always do but how about sun glasses? I don't usually use them unless on snow or high altitude. I won't find the latter but anyway would you recommend the sun glasses?

- this may sound silly but, again, I don't know the region and I prefer to risk asking silly questions than skip them and be left in doubt... so, any wildlife issue, like animals to be aware of, or any food protection issue?

I think that's all for now. I leave next friday and I can't wait. Thanks in advance!
inaki

Hi again,
I'm about hiking the Nordkalottleden. I''ve never been to the arctic before and there are a few things where I don't know what to expect. I hope you can help me with these:

- mosquitos: can I still expect to find some in mid august and later? if so, how many? would you recommend I bring insect repelent / head net? does repellent work at all for the Lapland mosquitos?

- sun protection: is this a big concern in this region? I'll carry some cream, I always do but how about sun glasses? I don't usually use them unless on snow or high altitude. I won't find the latter but anyway would you recommend the sun glasses?

- this may sound silly but, again, I don't know the region and I prefer to risk asking silly questions than skip them and be left in doubt... so, any wildlife issue, like animals to be aware of, or any food protection issue?

I think that's all for now. I leave next friday and I can't wait. Thanks in advance!
inaki

Yes on both questions, the mosquitos are many and enoying. Insect repellant works, but is not a 100 % protection. Sun protection is necessary, often 15-30 and your nose is the most sensitive/must be protected.

// Jocke

so, any wildlife issue, like animals to be aware of, or any food protection issue?

As all around the world, the mosquitoes is the biggest concern, except for that we are blessed with no predators that hunt and eat human beings. There's no spiders, snakes or grizzlys etc. Welcome to Sweden and enjoy your stay.

thanks both for the info. I just remembered another important question:

do mobile phones have coverage in the area? I'll be travelling alone so a phone may be particularly useful but I don't want to carry dead weight if I won't be able to use it.

Thanks in advance
inaki

do mobile phones have coverage in the area? I'll be travelling alone so a phone may be particularly useful but I don't want to carry dead weight if I won't be able to use it.

Thanks in advance
inaki

In general you have no use for a mobile in the mountains. Sometimes, close to larger roads or similar you can get connection. Climb a mountain top may help but in most parts even that won't help.

Yours,
Peter P.

Thanks in advance
inaki

That depends on which of the 800 kilometers of Nordkalottleden you intend to hike, but the
general answer is no. If you start in Kvikkjokk, a Telia mobile will work for a few kilometers but
after that there is virtually no coverage.

- Erik

Liknande trådar

Glöm allt du lärt dig om vandringsskor

Sneakers och löparskor kan vara bekväma för enklare promenader, men de är inte designade för de utmaningar som vandring kan erbjuda. Ojämn terräng, ...