Nordkalottleden info

I'm sorry I can't speak swedish. Hope english is fine.

I'm planning a hike of the Nordkalottleden this next summer and I'm having big trouble finding info in a language I can understand. I eventually tried my luck through the swedish in the registration process and as I write this I think I'm through.

If you can help me with some general questions I'll be so grateful. For the moment, the one thing I want to arrange as soon as possible is the transportation so I can get a not too expensive air fare. So my first question will be about access to the northern end of the trail in Kautokeino, Norway. I have road maps so I see where roads are but there doesn't seem to be any sort of public transportation to this place.

My initial plan is to fly into (and out of) Stockholm because it seems to be the easiest place to get to when I'm done with the hike. I know I can take a train from there to Kiruna/Abisko. Would it be feasible to get to Kautokeino from there? It's not too far but I'd have to get there across Finland and then Norway on secondary roads so I don't think there'll be any public transportation there... how about hitch-hiking? Would you disrecommend it for some reason? not practical maybe?

I'm open to suggestions. I welcome any bit of info, anything helps.

Thanks in advance,
inaki (from spain)

inaki; sa:
I'm sorry I can't speak swedish. Hope english is fine.

I'm planning a hike of the Nordkalottleden this next summer and I'm having big trouble finding info in a language I can understand. I eventually tried my luck through the swedish in the registration process and as I write this I think I'm through.

If you can help me with some general questions I'll be so grateful. For the moment, the one thing I want to arrange as soon as possible is the transportation so I can get a not too expensive air fare. So my first question will be about access to the northern end of the trail in Kautokeino, Norway. I have road maps so I see where roads are but there doesn't seem to be any sort of public transportation to this place.

My initial plan is to fly into (and out of) Stockholm because it seems to be the easiest place to get to when I'm done with the hike. I know I can take a train from there to Kiruna/Abisko. Would it be feasible to get to Kautokeino from there? It's not too far but I'd have to get there across Finland and then Norway on secondary roads so I don't think there'll be any public transportation there... how about hitch-hiking? Would you disrecommend it for some reason? not practical maybe?

I'm open to suggestions. I welcome any bit of info, anything helps.

Thanks in advance,
inaki (from spain)

Hello Inaki,

I went to Kautokeino in 2004 and hiked the Nordkalotten-trail down to Kilpisjaervi.

From Kiruna you can travel by bus to Karesuando at the border to Finland. Actually, Karesuando recides on both sides of the border, Karesuvanto being the finnish name of this border-town :).

Cross the bridge over to the other side, and take a ride with the finnish busline Eskelinen Lapinlijnat from Karesuvanto to Palojoensu, from were another bus eventually will take you to Kautokeino.

The thing is that the bus from Kiruna to Karesuando will get there to late to catch the bus on the finnish side, so you will have to stay the night in Karesuando and move on next day. There is however a excellent camping there, quite close to the busstop.

Links:

Kiruna-Karesuando
http://www.ltnbd.se/ny/tidtabeller/pdf/49.pdf

Karesuvanto-Kautokeino
http://www.eskelisen-lapinlinjat.com/en/aikataulu.php
Mail: esk.lapinlinjat@co.inet.fi

Link to swedish Karesuando:

http://www.karesuando.se

Note that finnish time is GMT + 2 hours, Swedish time is GMT + 1 hour.

Good luck :)!

//J
[Ändrat av joru 2007-06-06 kl 00:41]

hey, thank you both, excellent info. I had already considered flying to Alta but apparently I had to go via Oslo and it turned out to be quite pricey. Great to know there's public transport all the way from Kiruna, I'll probably go that way.

Now, Joru, you say you hiked to Kilpisjarvi. That's great news, it looked like no one was hiking that section! :) I've got very little info on that part in english, just a brief description that doesn't completely agree with the trail that's shown on the maps (when there's a trail shown at all) so I'm a bit lost regarding this section. It'll be great if you can share some knowledge here. How's the trail in this area? easy to follow? any significan problems or issues worth mentioning? The 1:50.000 norwegian maps I've got show a trail almost all the way but as I was mentioning, there are places where the map trail does not match the description I have (even if the description is *very* general) and they don't show any trail at all in the section from Saraelv south to the Finnish border.
With a map and a trail marked on it I feel I'm good to go but in this section I don't feel I have that. Is there any source (either internet or printed) where I can see a depiction/description of the trail route? No worries for the Swedish sections, it's the rest that worries me. I've just ordered the german guidebood (Peter Bieckel's) even if I can't read german in case there's such depiction, that'd be helpful.

Anyway, to cut it short: any info on the Kautokeino - Kilpisjarvi section is so much welcome. I'll be starting in early August. For a bit of background, I'm a experienced hiker and wilderness traveler but have never hiked in the arctic regions. Never been there at all actually (and I can't wait!)
Thanks again, I so much appreciate the help
inaki

inaki; sa:
hey, thank you both, excellent info. I had already considered flying to Alta but apparently I had to go via Oslo and it turned out to be quite pricey. Great to know there's public transport all the way from Kiruna, I'll probably go that way.

Now, Joru, you say you hiked to Kilpisjarvi. That's great news, it looked like no one was hiking that section! :) I've got very little info on that part in english, just a brief description that doesn't completely agree with the trail that's shown on the maps (when there's a trail shown at all) so I'm a bit lost regarding this section. It'll be great if you can share some knowledge here. How's the trail in this area? easy to follow? any significan problems or issues worth mentioning? The 1:50.000 norwegian maps I've got show a trail almost all the way but as I was mentioning, there are places where the map trail does not match the description I have (even if the description is *very* general) and they don't show any trail at all in the section from Saraelv south to the Finnish border.
With a map and a trail marked on it I feel I'm good to go but in this section I don't feel I have that. Is there any source (either internet or printed) where I can see a depiction/description of the trail route? No worries for the Swedish sections, it's the rest that worries me. I've just ordered the german guidebood (Peter Bieckel's) even if I can't read german in case there's such depiction, that'd be helpful.

Anyway, to cut it short: any info on the Kautokeino - Kilpisjarvi section is so much welcome. I'll be starting in early August. For a bit of background, I'm a experienced hiker and wilderness traveler but have never hiked in the arctic regions. Never been there at all actually (and I can't wait!)
Thanks again, I so much appreciate the help
inaki

Hello Inaki,

I will have a look at my maps and my notes from the hike and get back to this thread in a couple of days.

//J

Liknande trådar
Trådstartare Titel Forum Svar Datum
mr inferno info om nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 0
Anneliandersson Tältplatser Nordkalottleden Saluhavrre - Vajsaluokta Fjällvandring 6
kim.fras Nordkalottleden - transport Fjällvandring 6
Gereck Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 9
Pappan Vaden längs Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 8
ludde0719 Norra nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 5
Norris Hur går Nordkalottleden mellan Hukejaure och Gautelis? Fjällvandring 6
Gunnar81 Nordkalottleden, sträckningen Katterat - Ritsem (via Sitashyttene, Pauro, Röysvatn) Fjällvandring 1
ludde0719 Delar av Nordkalottleden + Sarek (Kungsleden) i sommar. Tips mottages! Fjällvandring 8
saraabeiramar Turberättelse om Nordkalottleden Staloluokta - Ny-Sulitjelma - Vaimok- Kvikkjokk Fjällvandring 9
Nallo94 Södra Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 8
e_palm Nordkalottleden Kautokeino-Sulitelma tips? Fjällvandring 15
Ditho Hängbro över Varvvekjåhkå trasig (Nordkalottleden Pieskehaure-Stáddajåhkå) Fjällvandring 6
Mäki91 Kartor för Nordkalottleden sträcka Kilpisjärvi - Abisko Fjällvandring 8
flindvl Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 16
aronwidforss Enklare avsnitt av Nordkalottleden? Fjällvandring 11
Gunnar81 Nordkalottleden norr om Hukejaure mot Unna Allakas? Fjällvandring 15
TuomasSakari Abisko-Kilpisjärvi- Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 3
jotho Nordkalottleden Kilpisjärvi-Abisko. Fjällvandring 2
Ahkká Beskrivning av Nordkalottleden? Fjällvandring 11
veni Berättelse om Nordkalottleden Etapp 3 Fjällvandring 1
Sigi Nordkalottleden Kautokeino-Kilpisjärvi Fjällvandring 1
veni Nordkalottleden, Etapp 3 Riksgränsen till Vaisaluokta Fjällvandring 4
Rebban Nordkalottleden mellan Sallohaure-Vaisaluokta Fjällvandring 2
bandy Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 4
rollebollen Sitasjaure norrut på Nordkalottleden? Fjällvandring 3
Björn_78 Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 6
veni Nordkalottleden från Kilpisjärvi till Kautokeino Fjällvandring 11
Joakim Ambrosson Reseberättelse Nordkalottleden + södra Jotunheimen Fjällvandring 22
UlfBack Tips för Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 2
brst Undrar om Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 6
inaki Nordkalottleden Kautokeino -> Kilpisjarvi Fjällvandring 2
DanneB Nordkalottleden, Staloluokta-Kvikkjokk Fjällvandring 9
Mc Gyver Nordkalottleden Kilpisjärvi--Abisko v. 32-33 Fjällvandring 1
anol Stalo-Sulitjelma via Nordkalottleden el. Miehttjevagge Fjällvandring 10
skutt Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 3
Fleischer Gubben behöver hjälp om Nordkalottleden. Fjällvandring 7
johnny76 Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 0
tsatsa Nordkalottleden Fjällvandring 2
Genväg Nordkalottleden före Hukejaure Fjällvandring 3
Ulrjon Hjälp att hitta info till min Norgeresa..... Fjällvandring 3
Tagetes Aktuell info om snöläge och blöthet Sarek juli 2016 Fjällvandring 2
qy Outdoorkartan - en del info måste vara med Fjällvandring 1
ancaja tips på info om flerdagarstur i fjäll/fjord-Norge Fjällvandring 6
aksello Vandra hela Kungsleden i Juli. tips och info sökes Fjällvandring 5
nattugglan01 Beöver grundläggande info om vanding i Chamonix/alperna. Fjällvandring 4
2boots Info or guide for Katterat to Rombak walk (Navvy Trail) please Fjällvandring 9
Extrem_skiing Info om fjälläget runt Keb -> söderut Fjällvandring 9
avslutat080903 Sarek, info om snöläge och broar Fjällvandring 11
Någon som har info om snöläget i fjällen Fjällvandring 22

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.