inflatable kayak suggestion

As we know that summers ahead and its the best weather for new activities. i have been thinking about new outdoor activities that make me feel active in this pandemic.
After long i took a decision that kayak is best option for this summer. So if anyone here to help me about what type of kayaks best for beginners and for small heighted person like 5'1. is inflatable kayaks are best to buy or not or issa just waste of money?

Two different ways --- A normal kayak is fast and easy to paddle, but requires a place to store it and a car to take it around. Weighs a lot, a pain in the ass to move it around.

An inflatable kayak is easy to store and move around, but slower to paddle, and not as fun or... ?

Soo I got a packraft instead ....

br36.jpg

I think inflatable kayaks are great if you are a beginner. The are much more stable than traditional kayaks. Stay away from the very cheapest ones. They are more like toys. Also get a decent paddle. I have an inflatable kayak from AdvancedElements. I am very happy with it.

I have a gumotex palava. I am happy with it for my needs but realize I am very restricted where I can take it. I regret not buying a packraft. My gumotex weights more than 17 kilos boat alone and limits which waters I can explore. With a packraft my whole luggage for the day trip will be less than 10 kilos including boat, paddles, food etc.

Packrafts are very lightweight (mine is 3.5kg including paddle and life jacket), they are slow in the water and not something for big lakes. Durable and can be used in whitewater. Perfect for a trip where you alternate between hike and paddle or go downstream.

Inflatable and pack-able kayakes/canoes are usually heavy 15-25kg. Faster than a packraft but slower than a real kayak or canoe. Perfect for trips where you have a short hike too the water from drop of or pickup point or need to pack them for a helicopter trip or similar. Excels at whitewater as inflatables can handle rocks.

Regular kayaks and canoes are faster but are fragile to rocks in whitewater (with some exceptions). I prefer canoes in calm lakes/rivers and kayaks when there are more waves or wind.

Renting a canoe or kayak at a good location is usually around 2000sek a week or 250-400/day and it's very common around good paddle locations. So I would suggest that you start with that even if you plan to buy one.

Just to add, for me the simplicity of inflatable meant I used it almost every weekend last summer. The year before I had an ally canoe in my basement. Same weight and size as my inflatable but takes an additional 15 Min to assemble but it's much faster on the water. I never used the ally canoe. 10 min assembly vs 30 min, 10 min won every time. I only do day trips though.

hey Emilia.
happy to see that you consider to take up paddling! You already got very good and relevant information in other answers above, and it's clear that your needs decides your choice.

Take a look at the different models in the links below: (Norwegian links, but just so you get an overview)

All the best.

Liknande trådar
Trådstartare Titel Forum Svar Datum
emiliasteward suggestion needed Allmänt om friluftsliv 0

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.