Hilleberg för vinterbruk?

First post, so hello Sweden! ;)
I hope you don't mind me typing this in English, I've got Belgian and Danish (Faroese) blood, so my Swedish (and Danish as well in fact) is anything but perfect... But I did understand most of the stuff I read on this website so far, so feel free to answer my question in Swedish or English!

I'm looking for a good 2 person winter tent that'll last me many years, want to use it either with my girlfriend or a mate, and since I can get a good price on Hilleberg, that's the brand of my choice...
My short-list is Nallo2/3, Nallo2/3GT, Kaitum2/3, Allak or, if really better, Nammatj2(GT).

In the review section of this site, I read the Nallo has quite a lot of trouble with condensation when the rear vent is covered with snow? Is this any better in the NalloGT or is it even worse? Or is the condensation in both tents quite fine? (I'm 190cm tall and use a down bag, so getting it wet by touching the inner fly is not impossible...)

Others commented on the used fabric, Kerlon1200: "Den lättare Kerlon duken hänger MYCKET vid väta"
Is it really that bad? And is it like that for all Kerlon1200 tents or really only a problem because of the construction of the Nallo? (otherwise I'll grab a Kerlon1800 tent and live with the extra weight)

Thanks in advance!
Lasse

In Winter tenting

There is of course the problem with ventilation and if it gets weat its get icey and You rapidly cuts off all air exchange....
Another problem is Wind, any slacking tent panel will maker noice and keep you awake...
So after tenting with the firms Kebs and my own Nallo I see a need off fully suported geodetic tents.
Apperently Hillebers have done so too since they have full supported and around pooled tents in there line.
I would not dare to recomend Nallo, however it has worked for me. Now I have done some long winter tours and it had to work.
My perfect winter tent accomdates 1 more than company and can take a stove indoors.... Sadly I don't see anything like it in the Hilleberg line.
Good luck!
//J

My experience...

First post, so hello Sweden! ;)
I hope you don't mind me typing this in English, I've got Belgian and Danish (Faroese) blood, so my Swedish (and Danish as well in fact) is anything but perfect... But I did understand most of the stuff I read on this website so far, so feel free to answer my question in Swedish or English!

I'm looking for a good 2 person winter tent that'll last me many years, want to use it either with my girlfriend or a mate, and since I can get a good price on Hilleberg, that's the brand of my choice...
My short-list is Nallo2/3, Nallo2/3GT, Kaitum2/3, Allak or, if really better, Nammatj2(GT).

In the review section of this site, I read the Nallo has quite a lot of trouble with condensation when the rear vent is covered with snow? Is this any better in the NalloGT or is it even worse? Or is the condensation in both tents quite fine? (I'm 190cm tall and use a down bag, so getting it wet by touching the inner fly is not impossible...)

Others commented on the used fabric, Kerlon1200: "Den lättare Kerlon duken hänger MYCKET vid väta"
Is it really that bad? And is it like that for all Kerlon1200 tents or really only a problem because of the construction of the Nallo? (otherwise I'll grab a Kerlon1800 tent and live with the extra weight)

Thanks in advance!
Lasse

I have great experience with the Saivo as a true and bombproof winter tent. Lots og room and the best ventilation I have experienced in a tent. Since I use a sled in the winter, weight is not paramount. Also, the Saivo (and other HB geodesics) are very simple to erect in high winds because they are tied to the ground with all pegs etc in place, before the tent is clipped on. But that also means that they take a little longer to erect than the tunnels.

Number two on my list would be Nammatj/Keron for the lower weight and still very good ventilation. They are also faster to erect in most circumstances. If carrying the tent is necessary, then of course Nammatj is much more suited than Saivo for most people.

I have also used the lightweight geodesic Jannu. Although made of 1200 kerlon the construction still makes the tent taut and firm. However, the ventilation in a Nammatj is better and Nammatj is roomier too, so that would still be my choice i weight would be of a concern.

As far as I know, HB can make openings in the inner-tent floor to accomodate stoves for melting snow.

Hälsning,

//Johan

Hiulleberg is a good winter tent

I have extensive experience of using Hilleberg (in particular tunnel tents) in northern Swedish winter conditions.

Hilleberg in general are good winter tents. If I would choose I would take the Nammatj GT or similar with two ventilation openings. I have used the lighter Nallo as well, but it has slightly worse ventilation.

* I would choose a GT tent for space. I like to be able to cook in the tent in poor winter conditions. In the GT vestibule with full heght you can use a gas stove and it is plenty of room for equipment, which I think is good in the winter when tou tend to bring more and larger equipment. In general do not hoose a too small tent for extended winter tours. Some more space adds a lot of comfort in poor weather when you want to spend time in the tent.

* I prefer a tunnel tent due to better weight to space ratio. However, the tunnel tent is more noisy than geodesic variants because it's flexibility. It bends a flexes in the wind.

* The Hilleberg tents are all quite easy to erect

* No tents that I have used in winter handles condensation really well in winter time, in particular not in damper conditions. That said I think the Hilleber tents are as good or better than the best tents in the market (TNF, MHW, Marmot etc)

I have not tried my Nammatj 3 GT in the winter time.
But after my use of it in the summer and autumn I would chose the Keron instead.
This is because that the Nammatj I have had the problem in the foot end, the outside is touching the inner fly.
So I have to be careful when I’m choosing the spot to put up the tent so its not to uneven
and I really have to stretch it.
Otherwise im happy with my tent and especially with the extra room with the GT model.

Morgan

Savio

Hello.

I would also like to recommend Hilleberg Savio. Simply a great tent and besides the advantages already mentioned I would like to add that a freestanding tent can be ercted regardless of the snow condition. I have once been forced to pitch the tent up in the middle of a snow storm at high altitude there the amount of snow was close to zero, all had blown away. Not the best place to erect a tunnel tent to put it mildly.

/ Stefan

You got lots of good advices here. Your planned use is most important for your choice. I have Saivo and Nallo 2, and a friend have Jannu. I have also seen, but not used, all the other Hilleberg tents mentioned here.

I would not recommend Nallo, because of the low lying air channel. It can easily be covered by snow. It’s low, and not weary comfortable. When that is said – I have used Nallo extensively – also in winter storms – and I have felt safe. After ten years use, did one peg loop break, in strong wind.

If you want a bombproof tent – go for the kerlon 1800 fabric tents – it’s stronger, the poles are thicker, and it last longer. The kerlon 1200 tents are lighter.

I prefer that a winter tent has two entrances (there goes the Naimat). Then two persons can have their own entrance, and in windy conditions you don’t get all the snow blown in, if the wind changes direction. I also like that a winter tent has enough room and height. I am 187cm, and I find my friends Jannu to low (I use a 9cm Exped downmat). The same goes for Nallo 2, Keron 2 and Kaitum 2. I find the same 3 person tents high enough and roomy enough for 2 persons in the winter. I don’t like GT-versions – I prefer to fire the primus inside the tent. In the winter you can dig out the abasid and get good enough space for your equipment in all the tents mention.

I choose Saivo because the weight difference between Keron 3 and Saivo is not big, and because Saivo (and Jannu/Tarra) it the most easy tent to set up alone in a winter storm (the clips system), and its geodesic form is even more storm proof.

If your main use is spring, summer and fall – I would definitely have chosen a kerlon 1200 tent. Saivo weights 4,7kg – that’s all too much in a bag back. I mostly use sleds on winter tours, if you uses bag backs I think Kaitum 3 is the best tent. Alak is a good tent, but both the tent and the abasid are a bit small.

Thanks a lot for all your replies!

I'll probably be going for the Nallo 3 as a slightly roomier 2 person tent with lowest weight that will survive in winter conditions and will have the Nammatj 3GT that I can lend from my dad whenever I'd need the extra strength/room (and when I'm not the one carrying everything ;))
However, I've not ordered yet, so still plenty of time to doubt and turn completely crazy :)

Lasse

What about the Kaitum 3GT? Good weight/space ratio, more straight walls so no sleepingbag touching the innertent. I have Nammatj 3GT but would trade for the Kaitum anyday...

Test the Nammatj

If you have access to a Nammtj tent I would defintly test that. It is not much heavier than the Nallo and you do not have to pay a lot. Then you can find out for yourself whether you like sloping walls (that Nallo has got too), the value of single large vestibule and whether you in fact want geodesic design like HB Saivo or TNF (various god designs) etc

Anders

Not direcly winter, but here is my Hilleberg Staika (from 1993) after a snowy night i Sarek, september 2003. About 10 cm wet and heavy snow - no prob's. Staika is stable in wind/snow, but rather heavy. Not on your short-list though ...
464f22aa682fa9194cbe9d574780b1dd.jpg

I'll have to see if I can test the Nammatj before the prices of the Hillebergs (which are on sale, that's why) go up again.

The reason why the Staika and other of the heavier tents aren't really on my short-list is because I'll probably be carrying it on my own most of the time (keeping weight out of my partner's backpack) so I'd rather keep the weight down... Unless the difference is big enough to justify the lost comfort during the day... The Allak is very much like the Staika but quite a bit lighter, so if I'd decide to with the geodesic after all, it would probably be that one. (Unless....)
Ah well, still in doubt...

Liknande trådar
Trådstartare Titel Forum Svar Datum
Weox Kondens på innertält ? Bo och sova 18
Kalkylarn Hilleberg Sand Bo och sova 4
Kalkylarn Hilleberg Atlas Bo och sova 1
Snödrivan Unna Hilleberg + tarp Bo och sova 5
Marsko6647 Köpa enstaka tält-peg till Hilleberg tält Bo och sova 7
magkar80 Hilleberg, hjälp med tältstång. Bo och sova 5
oscarhav Hilleberg Anaris utan vandringsstavar Bo och sova 1
NJUTERISOLNEDGÅNGEN Hilleberg bivakanorak Bo och sova 0
Henket Tält till fjäll med barn Bo och sova 9
Martin på Elsa H Tål inte Hilleberg fukt? Bo och sova 17
Guldhönan Finns prisvärt 4-mannatält eller är det HB/FR som gäller? Bo och sova 13
Pohman Hilleberg Soulu med hund Bo och sova 13
Aset Tälta med hund - Tarptent Stratospire 2 eller alternativ? Bo och sova 7
SkogsKn Köpa ett 18 år gammalt Hilleberg? Bo och sova 10
John_north Amerikanskt eller svenskt familjetält Bo och sova 33
The Crow Fjällräven Keb Dome 2 vs Hilleberg Allak 2? Bo och sova 1
manlan Byta golv i gammalt Hilleberg Bo och sova 12
Joakim.e Nytt fjälltält, Kaitum 3, Dome 3 eller annat? Bo och sova 12
foos Hilleberg Allak 2 eller Allak 3 för två personer? Bo och sova 7
tillin nordisk halland 2 lw vs Hilleberg nallo 2 Bo och sova 6
tillin Lång väntetid på tält från Hilleberg. Bo och sova 8
RobK Hilleberg Soulo 1 pers + hund Bo och sova 3
langben Bekvämt tvåmannatält även ok för ensamvandring? Niak eller Rogen? Bo och sova 13
avslutmedlemskap0904 Hilleberg NAMMATJ 2 Bo och sova 1
MonicaKa Hilleberg Meshbox, erfarenheter? Bo och sova 0
Fjorr Köpa begagnade Hilleberg utan kvitto/garanti... Bo och sova 14
kerk Hilleberg logotyp Bo och sova 1
Elvah Hur är Hilleberg Unna med logga i läder? Bo och sova 9
bientai Nordisk Telemark ULW 2 eller Hilleberg Enan Bo och sova 2
xstealx Hilleberg Nallo 4GT vs Bergans Romsdal 4-pers Bo och sova 1
skogsbaronen Nya tält från Hilleberg (Helags och Soulo BL) Bo och sova 14
Haudigaudi Hilleberg Bo och sova 19
Cuba Cola Hilleberg - val av litet tält Bo och sova 34
Still Alive Problem med Hilleberg Unna Bo och sova 4
aksello Äldre Hilleberg, lite problem Bo och sova 5
joask202 Hur ömtåligt är Hillebergs Enan? Bo och sova 9
EkanPonti HILLEBERG med eller utan GT (större eller mindre absid) Bo och sova 12
Calexico Hilleberg 1:a aprilskämt Bo och sova 0
adamstrom Hjälp med tältköp, Hilleberg Anjan eller Hiieberg Nallo?? Bo och sova 9
Tompa73 Hjälp med Hilleberg NAMMATJ Bo och sova 4
brigas Hilleberg påsar; slump eller uträknat? Bo och sova 0
95239 Hilleberg eller Fjällräven? Bo och sova 15
Per-Tommy Hur packa Hilleberg Akto? Bo och sova 3
Fred2332 Hilleberg keron 3? Bo och sova 12
c.sjodin Hilleberg Niak vs Hilleberg Soulo Bo och sova 4
mkruse Hilleberg Akto Mil Spec Bo och sova 4
erito Hilleberg färger Bo och sova 51
Tobias.H Hilleberg Nallo 2 vs Fjällräven Abisko Lite 2 Bo och sova 17
Tobias.H Hilleberg Niak vs Rogen Bo och sova 6
olahan Val av tält från Hilleberg Bo och sova 8

Liknande trådar

Fjälledarens tips: Så packar du lätt och når längre

Ibland får man ut mer av naturupplevelser när man tar ut svängarna. Fjälledaren Oskar berättar hur han hittar en större frihetskänsla utomhus.