Favorite mountain soundtracks

This summer I forgot to bring my camera with me on my mountain trip, however, I did bring my MP3 player. This was a stroke of luck because I found that music 'enhanced' my walk so much that I have a ' mountain soundtrack' that is almost more powerful reminder than photography.

I think it would be fun and interesting if readers shared their five most popular pieces of music that represent images of mountain trips. Here are mine:

1 The long drive or ride up to the beginning of the trail
Enigma - Return to innocence
The Jam – That’s Entertainment
2 Slogging with a heavy rucksack up a particularly hard or tedious track
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
3 Standing on a mountain peak
Chris Botti - Bach – Sonata#2 Violin solo (Andante)
4 Taking it easy by a mountain stream
Toots Thielemans - Midnight Cowboy
Joni Mitchel - Clouds
5 Snug in the tent before falling asleep
Deep Forest – Sweet Lullaby
Soundtrack to ‘Oh Brother Where Art Thou’ - Big Rock Candy Mountain

Looking forward to reading your inspirational answers

On the trail, just plodding on: "Kashmir day trip" by Entheogenic

Climbing up a really steep slope: "Come to daddy" by Aphex Twin

Comatose in the tent: "Dark room rituals" by U96

I've never actually brought my player though. Might be an idea for the next time I'm out alone. The only thing I brought for entertainment last time was Walter M Miller's "A canticle for Leibowitz".
[Ändrat av larsl 2006-10-25 kl 17:36]

On the peak of the trip, the part where you just want the time to pause for eternity, is there a better piece to listen to than the second suite of the band of brothers sound track? It's so heroic it's sick but it still gives me goosebumps all over.

Usually I don't take music with me on my trips, I want to hear something other than urban life when I'm out and about. But the part where I DO listen to music is the preparation. The time when the kit comes together, maps are prepared and boots are given a good wax. Dave Mathews Band, Freddy Jones Band are some typical "before the storm" type of bands...

/Sam

28038stf; sa:
This summer I forgot to bring my camera with me on my mountain trip, however, I did bring my MP3 player. This was a stroke of luck because I found that music 'enhanced' my walk so much that I have a ' mountain soundtrack' that is almost more powerful reminder than photography.

I think it would be fun and interesting if readers shared their five most popular pieces of music that represent images of mountain trips. Here are mine:

1 The long drive or ride up to the beginning of the trail
Enigma - Return to innocence
The Jam – That’s Entertainment
2 Slogging with a heavy rucksack up a particularly hard or tedious track
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
3 Standing on a mountain peak
Chris Botti - Bach – Sonata#2 Violin solo (Andante)
4 Taking it easy by a mountain stream
Toots Thielemans - Midnight Cowboy
Joni Mitchel - Clouds
5 Snug in the tent before falling asleep
Deep Forest – Sweet Lullaby
Soundtrack to ‘Oh Brother Where Art Thou’ - Big Rock Candy Mountain

Looking forward to reading your inspirational answers

Oh, man. I´ve got a bunch of these. Hold on and I'll post some.

Brilliant idea for a forum thread!

Before engaging in any serious hit list making, I just want to point out that the song I had running on repeat in my head for more than fifteen hours during the fell-running in BAMM this year, was "Kom ihåg mig då" with Lars Winnerbäck (the extended live version), a rather slow tune in singer-songwriter style.

I would've expected something more like "The long distance runner" by Swedish rapper Promoe, or anything by Rage Against The Machine...

This spring, during late-night training sessions at Ormberget in Luleå (skiing/hillrunning) I constantly had either audiobooks or my danish cousins' death metal in my mp3-player, which nearly became a soundtrack.

This is really intresting.
I never bring music on my trips, BUT weird music keeps disturbing my brain.
The last trip I had "cindy lauper - girls just wanna have fun" running around in my head for 2 weeks!

(i do not recomend it as an "favorite mountain soundtrack" thou)

Soundtrack to my travels...

Is of course our "famous" rock group The Soundtreack Of Our Lives...
A copuple of songs that enlighten my trips:
- The new messiah(a very catching tune that will guarantee ease in each step)
- It ain't free
- Galaxy gramophone
- Mantra slider
- Sister surround
- Mind the gap
and the list just goes on and on...

Then a tip. One of the best songs in the world, if not THE best song. Unfortunately this one is not a mountain song but a hymn to the ocean. The song is naturaly called "Ocean" and the band that comes from Australia is called John butler trio.
Get it as soon as possible, it will very soon become a very important part of your life... or perhaps, it's maybe just me that's a bit silly.

/Mattias

Slan; sa:
...I never bring music on my trips, BUT weird music keeps disturbing my brain.
The last trip I had "cindy lauper - girls just wanna have fun" running around in my head for 2 weeks!
and this is even more when running/skiing! Usually I have utter crap repeating in my brain when training, and that has gone on for ever, as far as I can remember. Like the chorus of nearly anything from the 80's. It repeats, just a few sentences, to the rhythm of the breathing and/or the running pace.

In Flames - Only for the weak
Pantera - Walk

..are two "motivating" songs for those times when you need to get up a steep hill...

/M

* Early morning in a cold tent, wet clothes and trying to set your mind for a hard 8a route > Manu Chaos "Radio Bemba", I have to listen to the whole album!

* Sitting on a fjäll, sipping coffee and enjoying the view > Orsa Spelmän - Trollens Brudmarsch

* After rumbling down with an avalanche and then waking up confused > Noir Desir - Le Vent Nous Portera

Blues Traveler - The Mountains win again
"Oh can you feel the same
Oh ya gotta love the pain
Oh it looks like rain again
Yeah feel it comin' in
The mountains win again"

And since I'm a "Dylanist"...

Bob Dylan - TIME PASSES SLOWLY
Time passes slowly up here in the mountains,

Bob Dylan - BLOWIN' IN THE WIND
How many years can a mountain exist

Bob Dylan - IS YOUR LOVE IN VAIN?
Well I've been to the mountain and I've been in the wind

Bob Dylan - A HARD RAIN'S A-GONNA FALL
I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains,

Bob Dylan - LET ME DIE IN MY FOOTSTEPS
Let me drink from the waters where the mountain streams flood

Bob Dylan - OUTLAW BLUES
Well, I wish I was on some
Australian mountain range.
Oh, I wish I was on some
Australian mountain range.
I got no reason to be there, but I
Imagine it would be some kind of change.

Some parts of Jan Johanssons folk music "Jazz på svenska" is very much "fjällen", but it can get too much, so it's suggested to also bring Madonna or something similar. :)

But I really prefer purely instrumental music.

Liknande trådar
Trådstartare Titel Forum Svar Datum
inaki stockholm mountain gear shops, gas canisters Fjällvandring 7
oskarg Mountain Hardware pack pants Fjällvandring 2
maths mountain hardware Fjällvandring 1

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.