What rope length is needed in Sweden?

Hello,

What rope length should I get for climbing in Sweden? I'll be moving to Sweden in a year and wonder what length I should get before I come.

I'll be into any outdoor climbs that I can find myself to (Traditional, sports, and toproping).

It's more usual to use 50m ropes here but I just saw a thread on this forum and noticed that most of the ropes mentioned were 60m ones.

The more opinions I get the better :)

Feel free to answer in Swedish, no probs there.

Thanks, Petter.

(excuse me using English, my Swedish is not so good yet. My dad's a swede, hence the name.)

I consider a 50m rope is enough for CLIMBING most routes in most places, but then rappelling can be slight of a problem. My experience in both trad and sports say that the routes in general are between 20 to 30m in height, and often longer in length, leaving you with awkward rapelling issues, and of course the same issues with toproping. Well, to get to the point... I strongly recommend you to go for the 60m rope since it basically will give you less problems.

Best wishes

Robin

...also, when a 60m rope gets old, you cut of the worn ends and you still have a usefull rope.

I'd say 50 is OK for Sweden. I have one and it has never been to short, but still I would buy a 60 next time.

Thanks for your help.

The only thing is that the 60m rope is only 10mm and the 50m is 10.5 (I am choosing between these two). Do you reckon that the 10.5 (50m) will be that much better regarding wear? Meaning I should get it instead of the 10mm (60m). You get what I mean?

I know this adds another aspect to my choice and could be the title of a new thread...

Cheers.

Petter.

60 m

I guess it's the same in most countries; new (sport) routs tends to get longer and longer. So I would recommend 60 m if you're going to climb modern sport routes in Sweden even though 50 m will do for most routes.

Liknande trådar
Trådstartare Titel Forum Svar Datum
climbrob Help us find this rope! Klättring allmänt 15

Liknande trådar

Fjälledarens tips: Så packar du lätt och når längre

Ibland får man ut mer av naturupplevelser när man tar ut svängarna. Fjälledaren Oskar berättar hur han hittar en större frihetskänsla utomhus.