Abisko in Winter- Questions from South America

Hi,

First of all, sorry for writing in english. Im from south america and dont know a word in swedish. Hope you understand

Im planning to do the trek Abisko - Kebnekaisse trek in early april and have some questions:

1- Is it allowed to pitch a tent near the huts and pay something to use their facilities (sauna, kitchen...)?

2-If i choose to sleep in the huts, do I need to book it in advance? Or if I show up there withour reservation, I will still have a place to sleep

3- The trail Tjaktja -> Nallo can be done in winter?

Thanks for your attention, Paulo

...but the place to sleep you'll get if you don't book in advance may just be the floor in a crowded hut. If you want something more comfortable, you probably should book in advance.

Skis or Snowshoes

Hi

Just to make sure, I hope you know that trekking in Swedish Lappland in early April requires skis or snow shoes. There will be at least 1 meter of snow, often more, and the temperature can easily drop down to -25 degrees centigrade.

Have a nice tripp!!!

/ Stefan

...but the place to sleep you'll get if you don't book in advance may just be the floor in a crowded hut. If you want something more comfortable, you probably should book in advance.

It is not possible to book in advance in the huts. Also, you can not pay with creditcard so you need to bring cash.

Hi Paulo
Here is the link to one of the huts near the trail, there you will find some usefull information, about prices and so on.
If you camp next to the hut, you pay the service fee and can then use the infrastructure of the hut, except for the beds ;)
It is right, you cannot pay by credit card, but you do not need to bring all the money with you. You can also get a bill that you pay when you come back to civilication, either from your bank account when you are home, or easier by credit card in the Kebenekaise Fjällstation.

Enjoy your trip
Henning

I would try to avoid going in the easter if you can. "Everybody" is then going to the mountains, and it will be crowded like never before. The small amount of goods to buy at the huts may be emptied as hordes of scool classes, company gangs, snowmobilers, skiers, snowboarders, guided tour groups, aso want to buy their things. Some are nice and considerate, others are not and are there imo only to have a good party drinking their own carried alcohol.
Otto.

Skiers Only

Along this trail most people are not allowed to use snowmobiles, so the only people who can bring lots of alcohol etc have hired a same to transport their stuff. They are usually from France, and you will probably not meet them at all.
I have only met very nice school classes in the huts, they fetched all the water and wood and went to bed early after having spent lots of energy both on the trail and and in the evening (we had made sure the hut was warm when they arrived). But I have encountered guided groups which have occupied more of the common area in the hut than they "should". And then again I have also shared huts with groups that really made sure they didn't.

You can book in advance at Kebnekaise, and it may be crowded there as well as in the other huts at Easter. The best way to avoid the crowdedness is not to start in the weekend. You will, however, always be given a place to sleep indoors in all huts which are not close to a road even if it is crowded, and most people are good at sharing the crowded space.

The trail from Tjäktja to Nallo can be used in winter, but be aware of the risk of avalanches on the steep way down towards Nallo.

I hope you will have a nice trip, and maybe we will meet since I go there at Easter most years.

Thank you for all your replies.
I will start on April 1, so it won´t be easter and also not a weekend so I think it will not be too crowded. I have a pair of snowshoes that will do the job.
I just have one more question. Do the winds are too strong there? I mean, I´ve used my tent in places like Andes (+5100m), Canada and specially Patagonia that the wind is too strong. Is it a concern in Lapland??

Thank you again..

Hi, except for the first and last day of your planned trip you will be above the tree limit thus fully exposed to weather. The distance to north Atlantic in the west is very small, so weather can change rapidly and storm force winds can occur. Along the planned route, you will have huts and a few windshelters that can provide potection in case needed. Please be aware that there is no mobile coverage along the trail so you are not able to search for your own weather forcasts (except close to Kebnekaise mountain hut in case you have a TeliaSonera sim card or are roaming through TeliaSonera). The manned huts along the trail could however sometimes provide weatherforcasts provided they are within FM radio coverage.
Abisko National Park is located in a valley and you will be little more protected from low birch forest, the same applies on the trip between Kebnekaise mountain station to Nikkaloukta.

The link below will give you a map with distances in km between the huts:
http://www.svenskaturistforeningen..../Lappland/kingstrail/Abisko--Nikkaluokta/Map/

Good to know is also that you are not allowed to pitch your tent in Abisko NP except on a few marked places which can be seen on the map in this link:
http://www.naturvardsverket.se/en/Enjoying-nature/Protected-areas/National-Parks/Abisko/

Liknande trådar
Trådstartare Titel Forum Svar Datum
såg Hur lång tid skulle de ta att gå från Abisko till Kvikkjokk Fjällvandring 12
Smarrigchokladboll STF faciliteter off-season? Abisko - Nikkaluokta Fjällvandring 6
Fjorr Fullbokat tåg Kiruna-Abisko Fjällvandring 6
såg Låkkatjåkka till Abisko Fjällvandring 2
såg Är det många som går från Abisko ner till Vakkotavare Fjällvandring 9
Jonasjarmen Dagsturer i Abisko, oktober. Fjällvandring 2
Maalla Abisko 8-10 september Abisko-Kårsavagge-Abiskojaure-Siellavagge-Ballinvagge-Abisko Fjällvandring 4
I95tomjo Abisko-måndalen-harpasset-låkktatjåkka Fjällvandring 1
Jockan Transport kiruna till abisko Fjällvandring 4
HellenS Treriksröset till Abisko via Geppohyttan & Rostahytta Fjällvandring 3
Nallo_Gus Abisko - Nikka utanför Kungsleden Fjällvandring 5
ybe Tips på turer kring Abisko slutet av juni? Fjällvandring 4
barasara Rutt från Sverige till Norge (Narvik eller Bodö/Sulitelma/Sulitjelma) Fjällvandring 9
Jesper1972 Hur långt ut från Abisko, till första tältplats ? Fjällvandring 10
Jesper1972 Abisko till Vakkotavare, via Unna Allakas (eller inte ?) i Augusti Fjällvandring 9
HellenS Treriksröset till Abisko Fjällvandring 8
Paulo_zavala Abisko-Vakkotavare tidigt april Fjällvandring 12
Andreas123456 ryggsäck abisko-nikkaloukta Fjällvandring 5
Sandalf Katterat till Abisko - Alene i fjällen Fjällvandring 3
GezaX Abisko i slutet på september TIPS? Fjällvandring 1
Jockan Tips på en 3-4 dagars vandring kring Abisko, Riksgränsen osv Fjällvandring 1
Ambientograph Abisko-Njakajaure Fjällvandring 0
ArcBird Kungsleden, Abisko - Kebnekaise Fjällvandring 0
DanielK Kårsavagge-Låktatjåkka-Trollsjön-Måndalen-Abisko Fjällvandring 5
Hefigu Unna Allakas, men sen? Tips på rutt... Fjällvandring 8
Fjorr Bra rutt för Abisko-Ritsem-Kvikkjokk? Fjällvandring 9
coverman Önska tips på dagsturer kring Abisko för nybörjare. Fjällvandring 8
coverman Nybörjare med 2 barn runt Abisko eller Kebnekaise Fjällvandring 6
Mediumviktsvandraren Kungsleden, Abisko-Kvikkjokk augusti-september 2022 Fjällvandring 36
andersnoren Fyra-fem dagars vandring i Abisko med fjällnybörjare Fjällvandring 17
Valde Abisko-nikkaluokta Fjällvandring 12
jojjebros Har gått Abisko-Nikkaluokta två ggr. Vart ska jag nu? [Råd och tips] Fjällvandring 21
Ooscar Abisko till Nikkaloukta via Siellavaggi, Mårma, Kaskasavagge och Tarfala Fjällvandring 14
Mumfi Feedback på två turer (Salto-Salto via Sarek, Abisko-Nikka utanför KL) Fjällvandring 3
Folkhem Kungsleden på 3 veckor, Hemavan-Abisko Fjällvandring 16
Lappen69 Tvådagars tur från Abisko(?) efter midsommar Fjällvandring 2
Robtrek Till Lapporten från Abisko Östra eller från Turiststation? Fjällvandring 1
Toblin Tältplatser lapporten nära abisko ? Fjällvandring 6
Llama Frågor om alternativ rutt Abisko-Nikkaluokta via Nallo/Unna räita Fjällvandring 9
Johannes_ Sovsäck och liggunderlag Abisko v26. Fjällvandring 4
Ulan65 Var parkera? Abisko, Kiruna eller Nikkaloukta? Fjällvandring 25
Sl96 Fjällvandring alternativa rutter Abisko - Nikkaloukta eller tips på andra rutter Fjällvandring 21
Jojosurf Komma ut till Abisko Fjällvandring 3
Wotan88 Abisko - Kebnekaise - nikkaluokta Fjällvandring 19
Braxe Tre tältnätter kring Abisko Fjällvandring 20
mojson Tips! Kvikkjokk eller Abisko Fjällvandring 2
wendelalovgren ABISKO - ABISKOJAURE - ABISKOJAURE - KÅRSAVAGGE - KÄRKEVAGGE - LÅKTAJÅKKA vandring 3 hela dagar Fjällvandring 3
Joonaka Abisko-Nikkaluokta via trepassleden(?) Fjällvandring 5
Jollenisse Abisko-Nikkaluokta budget vandring Fjällvandring 15
JenJen91 Katterjokkstriangeln? Fjällvandring 3

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.