Resultat och artickel från VM i havspaddling 9/4-2004

här är en artickel och lite resultat ifrån gårdagens lopp i kapstaden. Hade varit kul med lite bilder men jag har inte hittat några

Aussies take lead in Ski World Cup

Posted on 09 April 2004 - 19:14

Aussie ski legend Dean Gardiner won the single ski leg of the inaugural Men’s Health Mazda Ski World Cup in rough conditions off Cape Town on Friday.
The 39 year old Sydney ski star had to come from behind to pip the star-studded field of internationals and local ski paddlers to the finish at Granger Bay.

Gardiner finished the thirty kilometer course 45 seconds clear of SA team captain Herman Chalupsky, with fellow Australian Tim Jacobs and Durban paddler Hank McGregor, the current world marathon champion close behind him.

The race was held from Hout Bay to Granger Bay at the Cape waterfront, after the prevailing strong winds forced the organisers to abandon the original route that would have involved paddling around Cape Point before finishing at Fishoek. The start was delayed by two and a half hours as the race officials waited for the headwind to back to the desired downwind conditions.

Chalupsky set the early pace as the field of close on 200 ski paddlers raced into the strong wind from the Hout Bay start. He was first to turn at the marker buoy, and led the race into the downwind leg that made for very fast racing in rough, choppy sea.

Gardiner opted for a line closer in shore, and after dealing with the notoriously big sea off Dungeons, he was able to make a break, and raced alone to reach the finish less than a minute clear of the SA team skipper Chalupsky.

Cape schoolboy Simon van Gysen, the silver medallist in the junior marathon world champs last year, took the junior title, with a stunning ninth place overall.

The heavy sea and strong wind made for tricky racing conditions, and at least 16 paddlers had to be rescued by the safety craft manning the entire route.

“It was fantastic out there, mostly paddling in a screaming downwind” said an ecstatic Gardiner after his victory. “It was stunning to stand on the line at the start and see so many skis racing, and realize that there were basically all the big names in the world on the line. This event has been such a success”, he added.

The tight racing has left the team competition poised on a knife-edge. Gardiner’s win helped nudged Australia into a slim five point lead after the single ski leg. ”The doubles race on Sunday will be crucial. We always knew it would be”, said Gardiner.

“Dean was awesome today”, said Herman Chalupsky. “The swell was coming from all over the show - front, back, sideways, you name it. It was Dean’s game. He is a master in this sort of surf. I only realized that all the Aussies going inshore had taken the lead after about 45 minutes. I paddled like crazy, and caught all of them except Dean”, he added.

The ladies race also saw plenty of drama. Australian star Holly Huessner was locked in a ding-dong battle with Cape star Nicky Mocke, before Mocke came unstuck with a leaking bung plug that effectively sank her ski. Huessner raced away to win by over six minutes from Cape ace Kim Rew and Knysna’s Michelle Eray.

The massive international field will enjoy a rest day on Saturday before tackling the crucial double ski race, planned from the Cape waterfront around Robben and then back to finish in the Waterfront.

SUMMARY OF RESULTS
1.Dean Gardiner (Aus) 1:54.14
2.Herman Chalupsky (RSA) 1:55.33 (1st Veteran)
3.Tim Jacobs (Aus) 1:56.69
4.Hank McGregor (RSA) 1:58.50
5.Jon Chalmers (Aus) 1:59.23
6.Matthew Bouman (RSA) 1:59.59
7.Dave Kissane (Aus) 2:00.34
8.Darryl Bartho (RSA) 2:00.54
9.Simon van Gysen (RSA) 2:01.49 (1st Junior)
10.Dawid Mocke (RSA) 2:02.49
18.Lee McGregor (RSA) 2:06.38 (1st Master)

Women
1. Holly Huessner (Aus)2:24.34
2.Kim Rew (RSA) 2:31.15
3.Michelle Eray (RSA) 2:31.48

Team competition:
1.Australia 72 points
2.South Africa 67 points

artickel hämtad på

http://www.supersport.co.za/SSZ3PrinterVersion.asp?aid=111296&sportCategory=supersport/superxtra

[Ändrat av Siven 2004-04-10 kl 18:57]

Liknande trådar

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.