Norway Sørfjorden - Paurohytta: no trail ?

Who knows this trail - does it exist? On Norgeskart the route is shown as Sørfjorden - Baurifjellet - Skogdalen - Paurohytta. I hiked there but could not find any trail. Old markings for snowmobiles exist for the first 4 km (from Sadjemjávrre / Brynvatnet to lake 745). After that, no markings, and the route shown on the map is just a fictional drawing, not a real track - it leads across gorges and vertical rock barriers where no hiker or ski / snowmobile could ever pass even in deep snow. So what about this trail which is shown on the map? If it exists, where in reality is the routing from lake 745 up to the saddle? After the saddle down to Skogvatnet and Paurohytta it's easy terrain, but going up the saddle was quite difficult with 4 vertical rock barriers and some rather unpleasant climbing, a bit risky if you're hiking alone. Any information or background on this route is welcome.
I hiked this section on a 5 week autonomous trek Rago - western Padjelanta - Hellmofjorden - Grunnfjorden - Mannfjorden - Sørfjorden - Nordkalottleden to Skjomdalen, and the section Sørfjorden - Paurohytta seemed to me, unexpectedly, the most difficult part of it all.

Ut.no describes the route as "largely unmarked" between the road and Skogvatnet. Not many people trek those areas, I think Pauro or maybe Röysvatnet are DNT:s least visited hut.

Thank you for your answer. Indeed a rather lonely area, I didn't meet anybody on the stretch Hellemobotn - Grunnfjorden - Mannfjorden - Sørfjorden - Paurohytta, except some workers at the giant windpark above Sørfjorden.

Incidentally, this route also has a darker side from history to it, as in WW2 a 20 men strong mountain troop detachment from the German occupiers went from Fauske to Narvik in 11 days along that same route, code named "operation buffalo". I understand that in Norway this episode is still being remembered as the "buffalo march" (Bøffelmarsjen), and at least until a few years ago some Norwegian reserve officers would repeat that march annually. The Narvik War Museum also briefly mentions this episode.

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.