Good place to with hike with dog in Sweden/Norway in October?

Hello,

New user here, cant write well in Swedish but feel free to reply in Swedish I will understand. Anyways I need some advice.

I am planning a 2 week hike trip with my dog Kurt on October 1st in Sweden or Norway. The hike itself has to be somewhat easy to medium difficulty. The hike is supposed to be relaxed we do not intend to walk long distances for 2 weeks straight. We might camp for a whole day some beautiful places.

We have done several day hikes before but nothing past 1 week. We have done the Jämtland Triangle so not interested in doing that again. Any good ideas where I could do this hike in the October month? I am open to Norway as well.

Cheers :)

Senast ändrad:
There's a risk of bad weather that time of year, maybe even some snow in the mountains. To be safe you could pick a lowland trail, for exampel https://www.bergslagsleden.se/
Or the area to the East of Jämtlandstriangeln, starting Vålådalen. Many trails in the area so you could design a suitable route.

That period of the year is also hunting season (Wild Reindeer or birds in Norway. Moose in both countries etc) so be careful to select where you are going.

Hello,

First half of October is a interresting but sometimes rather challenging time of the year in the Scandinavian mountains. The winter is coming and you should count on some days with snowfall and temperatures below 0 some of the nights.

The first question mark is from my point of view quite easy to answer. You should definitly aim at Sweden. This since the risk for sever snowfall is significantly higher in Norway.

The area around Vålådalen (Anarisfjällen / Lunndörrsfjällen / Härjongsfjällen) is a very good suggestion. You are quite far away from the north sea in a area with rather low amount of snowfall a normal season. For a soft hike in the mountains that would be my number one tip as well......and the only hunters you might encounter up in the mountains in October is Ptarmingan hunters....and they are quite few.

But I have as well done some hikes up in Lappland that time of the year in Sarek and Sjaunja. This obviously is much more demanding, but to sit in Rapadalen and watch the Moose bulls close to mating season is very nice in my book.

Good luck!!

/ Stefan

I am not sure where you live, but please consider the rules Norway has about travelling there with dogs:
https://www.toll.no/en/goods/animals/travelling-with-pets-to-and-from-norway/

You might run into some hunters at this time -- but that is not something I would worry about. There are to my knowledge no recorded accidents between hunters and other people in the Swedish mountains. Some hunters has been able to shoot themselves or each other -- but that is somewhat different...

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and advice, really awesome community! I would like to try and avoid hunters :D Vålådalen looks interesting, I will look into it.

I am thinking of removing the restictions of the hike only being in Sweden or Norway. I am quite open to traveling anywhere in Europe. Made my "requirements" a bit more open:

• At least 1 week+ worth of hiking
  • Easy to medium difficulty
  • Decent weather conditions (no freezing temps if possible)
  • Dog friendly country/trail
  • Mountain views

…But I have as well done some hikes up in Lappland that time of the year in Sarek and Sjaunja. This obviously is much more demanding, but to sit in Rapadalen and watch the Moose bulls close to mating season is very nice in my book.

Good luck!!

/ Stefan
As TS want to bring a dog, Sarek isn’t an option as dogs are not allowed in Sarek.

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.