Padjelanta - Sulitjelma: some questions

Hi all!

Let me shortly introduce myself: I'm a 22-year-old Belgian geology student. Some 4 years ago, I fell in love with te mountains and with the splendour of Scandinavia in particular. Appart from long trekkings in the Pyrenees I have so far visited Hardangervidda, Jotunheimen and Rondane. I think I can say I'm beginning to be a quite experienced mountain walker with over 200 days of trekking with tent, about half of it solo.

This year I'm planning my first real solo-expedition around the arctic circle: a 25-day hike through Svartisen-Saltfjellet-Junkerdalen-Padjelanta-Sulitjelma-Blamannsisen-Rago in late august and september, when autumn colours reach their maximum and river crossing should be easier. Most of my journey will be cross-country walking. I'll take a SPOT-device for safety.

As I don't speak Swedish or Norwegian and information about most of my intented route is very sparse on the internet, I'm gonna ask you guys some questions :)
The route I'm intending to follow can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/wvdoorne/NoordScandinavieHerfst2009#
Click on a picture - for full resolution => downloaden => foto downloaden (maybe it will just be in english or swedish for you)

I've indicated some numbers on the maps "Padjelanta-Sulitjelma" and "Sulitjelma-Virihaure-Blamannsisen".

1/ Is the intended route over the pass between Arjep Savllo and Ballek possible, even with fresh autumn snow? And can Arjep Savllo be climbed via the NW-ridge? I can only find information about winter ascents.

2/ I have read there is some reindeer fence on the Norwegian-Swedish border between Arjep Savllo and Nuorta Savllo which is not indicated on this map. Will I have problems crossing it on this intended route? And how's the climb to Nuorta Savllo via the south ridge?

3/ I would really like to visit the area north of Sarjasjavrre. Can the Sarjasjahka river be waded between the lakes Bajit Sorjosjavri and Sarjasjavrre in early autumn or is a detour to Sorjoshytta recommended?

4/ Which is the easiest route to point 1663m on the border? And is a crossing as indicated on the map possible?

I guess that will be it for now!
Thanks a lot for answering!

1. I have visited Arjep Savllo from North.I see You'll go down the same way. Very easy. I think that You should go around the Ballek from the West. I have rad that it's difficult to climb up East of Ballek.

2. There are no reindeer fences between Arjep Savllo and Nuortta Savllo.

3. I tried to climb Nuortta Savllo, but I had to stop just before the top. Claes Grundsten writes that this way should be possible but I could not. I think that You will have to climb up along the Glacier but this can be dangerous.

4. I was around the Sorjosjavri in July and I had to go around the lake and across the Sorjosjohka at the Sorjoshytta. I think You can't go across the river between the lakes in September either.

5. I went straight from Sorjosjavri to the 1663 (Ålmåtshokka). If You want to visit the hill 1260 m beside the Skagmadalen/Blåmannsisvattnet You can much easier go there from north. To the 1663 there are several routes and I reached the mountain from South East but I think that Your another way is quite easy too. But it is very easy to go up from Bajit Sorjosjavri from norther coast of it. I went to 1663 from there and down also this way from Skagmadalen. I visited Ålmåtshokka and Sierggatshokka along Your way and I went down to Skagmadalen just before Gasskatshokka ts I went to Skagmadalen from North.

I am not much of a 'peak-climber' myself, so I can't help out with those questions. But I can still add some:

1: Closeup on Årjep Savllo from west: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15856567

2: I never encountered any fence here...

3: I was thinking of trying to get up there when I camped right below on the east side, but it looked very steep from where I was unless you want to cross the small glacier.
NuorttaSavllo.jpg

4: Don't know about the place you suggest but, when I walked past in early August, Sårjåsjåhkå looked very fordable a few hundred meters downstream from Sårjåsjávrre. (see old map in this post as well). I don't know about this place if it has been raining though...
sårjåsjåhkå.jpg

I also have quite a few pictures from the area on my web-page (text is swedish-only) and if you keep browsing on my Panoramio account :)

Thanks for your feedback and comments!

Hmm, as there will probably already be fresh snow on the higher slopes of Nuortta Savllo I think I'll skip this mountain. If the conditions are still good I can always give it a try.

Other question: On this old map: http://www.nallo2.se/images/div/padjekarta01.jpg
a brigde is indicated over the outflow of Leirvatnet/Jasakgavrre.
Is this bridge still up? I guess this stream can not be forded safely?

According to a discussion here in Utsidan some months ago, the river out of Leirvatnet is NOT possible to wade. The discussion concluded with the option of crossing the glacier Blåmannsisen from the sea 1058 and head against Messingmalm vatnan. This route was apparently the only possible way of entering the mountains north of Gasakjavrre.Sorry I did not find the link to this discussion.

The glacier is claimed to be firm and with no dangerous cracks. I am also thinking of a tour and have the glacier crossing at the solution.

Otto

According to a discussion here in Utsidan some months ago, the river out of Leirvatnet is NOT possible to wade. The discussion concluded with the option of crossing the glacier Blåmannsisen from the sea 1058 and head against Messingmalm vatnan. This route was apparently the only possible way of entering the mountains north of Gasakjavrre.Sorry I did not find the link to this discussion.

Here it is.

Another question: Given good circumstances, is it possible to cut right through Sulitjelma from south to north via the ridge between Salajiegna and Stuornajieggna (over Miehtjerbakkte, point 1607m) and descend on the north side, either directly to lake 1132m or by first following the ridge at the north side of Stuornajieggna and then descend to point 1283m / Miehttjevage?

Must be an incredible route, but I can not find any information about the diffuculty of this ridge north of Miehtjerbakkte and about the descend route.

Thanks!

3. Two weeks ago there were at least two possible places to wade between the two lakes, both situated close two Sårjåsjavvre. Only kneedeep.

The latest question:
I had the same dream this summer, but I didn´t fulfil it. I don´t think there´s any real problem getting up. It´s getting down in the north that will cause the problems. I ´ve seen the slope from the north, and I would guess that it´s very hard to find the best way down because it´s so steep.

I´ve got some short videos from different parts of Sulitelma taken about a week ago. The first is from the top 1420 in the east part of the mountain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGRNWBuuK5M

The second one is taken about 1 km south of lake 976 in the north part of Sulitelma.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX34HdqBSTs

Unfortunately the camera makes everything less steep. I jope you´ll have some use of them.

HåkanF

It is quite easy to go down, but a few hundred meters west from the lake 1132. Just go along the snow first two hundred meters and then You can find some more snow and also a route along the stones down. Just go there where it is not so steep. I went down two times last year.

First time I also went up from the lake 1132 or west from it. Second time I came up from the point 1283 and that was much easier. But it's not so difficult also to the lake 1132. I recommend the ridge north of Stuorrajiegna if You have a lot of things to carry with You. Or maybe it is the same which way You get down. To the top it is quite easy to climb from 1283.

Liknande trådar
Trådstartare Titel Forum Svar Datum
barasara Rutt från Sverige till Norge (Narvik eller Bodö/Sulitelma/Sulitjelma) Fjällvandring 9
t_andersen Padjelanta-Ny Sulitjelma Fjällvandring 6
JohanGrum Vada över Låddejåhkå i Padjelanta, väster om stugan Fjällvandring 2
Anneliandersson Tältplatser Nordkalottleden Saluhavrre - Vajsaluokta Fjällvandring 6
553344 Frågor om Sarek- och padjelanta-tur med bla Álátjåhkkå Fjällvandring 7
myrberget Snöläget i Padjelanta Fjällvandring 11
Vandraren79 Padjelanta sommaren 2022 Fjällvandring 5
Uteförjämnan Padjelanta - Stibok Fjällvandring 5
553344 Padjelanta - vägval mm Fjällvandring 21
Framskr_ida Tips fjällvandring 5-10 dagar stugor, ev Padjelanta Fjällvandring 4
adropofnature Rago to Padjelanta via Trolldalen Fjällvandring 15
Promenerik Sarek+Padjelanta turförslag Fjällvandring 3
Cobblepot Sovsäck Padjelanta mitten av augusti. Fjällvandring 3
Leek123 Kungsleden till padjelanta Fjällvandring 1
Ryggsäcken Mat vid stugvandring i Padjelanta? Fjällvandring 9
david_k Nordöstra Padjelanta: Akka - Alggajavrre - Staloluokta Fjällvandring 5
intelligence Val av sovsäck till padjelanta-tur mot slutet av augusti Fjällvandring 4
Sigi Myggläget i Sarek/Padjelanta just nu Fjällvandring 7
cloud76 Padjelanta - snö Fjällvandring 4
cloud76 Padjelanta/Kierkevare Fjällvandring 7
Sigi Söder om Padjelanta (Fierrovagge,Ravejaure) Fjällvandring 1
cloud76 Isarna på sjöarna i Padjelanta Fjällvandring 1
solohiker Önskas tips för långvandring, Keb - SF - Padjelanta - Sarek Fjällvandring 5
olahan Padjelanta Fjällvandring 3
Hemiume Vad får vi inte missa? Sarek, Padjelanta, stora sjöfallet, abisko? Fjällvandring 6
mkruse Västra Padjelanta - turförslag Fjällvandring 9
camoscio sulitelma-padjelanta Fjällvandring 29
Helsing Padjelanta Väst Fjällvandring 2
givdeh Padjelanta igen Fjällvandring 7
majjen Höstfärger i södra Padjelanta? Fjällvandring 20
Gunnar81 Tur i Padjelanta och Sarek Fjällvandring 7
mkruse Padjelanta - förslag på rutt önskas! Fjällvandring 4
lokatten Padjelanta kan man köpa mat längs vägen? Fjällvandring 3
Höstlöv Vadplatser i och runt västra Padjelanta Fjällvandring 17
Almijo Förslag på vandringstur Sarek/ Padjelanta? Fjällvandring 14
anna_caroline Padjelanta Fjällvandring 28
monterey Just nu: Vänner i Padjelanta behöver tips Fjällvandring 9
Akleja Efterlyser man från Padjelanta/Stalo 1/8 Fjällvandring 0
Silverfox Proviant i Padjelanta? Fjällvandring 8
dake Tältplatser padjelanta Fjällvandring 2
LeifS Vägen till Alkajaure från Padjelanta Fjällvandring 6
Crimper Padjelanta i presentform Fjällvandring 14
Leif Vajmo Vadning av Tukijåhkkå (Duvggejåhkå) i Padjelanta? Fjällvandring 7
Hemskis Avstånd i Padjelanta/Sarek Fjällvandring 5
eyck Västra Padjelanta m. gummibåt Fjällvandring 17
Airfoil Det börjar pirra nu - Padjelanta. Fjällvandring 6
Fjällgrodan Ritsem - Padjelanta synpunkter sökes Fjällvandring 17
Sigi Vada Sieberjakka i Padjelanta? Fjällvandring 2
aksello padjelanta, rundtur. Finns det? Fjällvandring 4
Jamali Från Sarek till Stora sjöfallet/Padjelanta...Hjälp tack! Fjällvandring 7

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.