Packrafthike Gap Year – Part 1/The Arctic - Norway/Sweden

Hello,

I am quite new here. We have a masterplan for a 55-day, 1100 km packrafthike in Arctic Norway and Sweden. I have put the plan on my blog.

It would be very helpfull if you could give feedback on the plan. Alternatives. Dos, Don't dos...

http://patagoniandreams.com/

I am looking into info on the classifacation of Kummaeno, Taavaeno and Lainio rivers. It's done by canoe,but how "technical" are they in a normal august.

ALso if you look into the plan, what would you change, because we skip an important/interesting part that we might overlook, and what could be as an alternative?

Looking into suggestions to change the plan...

From your blog it seems like you're paddling two in one explorer, and also that you are not too experienced river rafters. Still you should be able to handle up to class 2 rapids.

I have paddled Kummaeno, Tavvaetno and Lainio River (down to Jårkastaka, where the first road crosses the river) both in open canoe and in packraft. In august, the water level in these rivers is low, so stones and gravel bars may somewhere cause some problems, but they should still be very well doable in a packraft.

Kummaeno is mostly still-flowing and easy to paddle. Downside the waterfall near Pältsastugorna there are only 2 longer rapids that you may chose to portage, one starting just below C09 (at your Google Earth file) that is 400 m long, and Laireguoika starting about 1 km downstream the 500 m contour, about 1 km long. Additionally there are about 4-5 very short rapids, some of which you may choose to paddle.

Above you’ve got a link to a river description of Tavvaeatno and Lainio River. You should be aware that the Swedish classification often lies above the international classification, i.e. a class 3 rapid in these is more like an international class 2 rapid.

Tavaeno is approximately 70 % slow flowing water. You may chose to portage some of the class 3 (ie class 2) rapids. The one 3-4 km before the confluence with Råstoätno is probably the most difficult. All of these are easy to portage.

Laino River is mostly still flowing until 9 km before the Liedaka rapid, where the river starts flowing faster in a continuous class 1 rapid that calumniates in upper Liedakka (class 4). Upper Liedakka can be portaged on river left if you choose not to paddle it, and the delta is best paddled in the leftmost channel. The lower Liedaka can easily be portaged on river left. Kentakoski may also be paddled, or alternatively you can carry on a gravel road at river left.

The fishing camp at Råstojavri , a few km northwest of C11, will probably sell you some food if you are short. They once sold me some cans of beer while passing by. Some of the huts along “Kungsleden” also sell food.

You can see pictures from my packrafting trips here.
Trip 1, 2, 3 and 5 are partly relevant for your route. The water level in the Råsto-Lainio trip was almost full spring flood, and much higher than you can expect. The maps can be zoomed in, and I have as exactly as possible drawn in the route, blue while paddling, and red while carrying.

Alternative routes from Råstojavri to Lainio River could be along the Råstoetno (more scenic but more difficult than Tavvaetno, you probably would have to carry most of it), or Harrejohka (half of which can be paddled on still water if not extremely low water).

It’s an ambitious and exiting expedition you are planning, good luck!

Harald

Senast ändrad:
thank you

thank you very much for this very helpfull feedback... and thx for coming by on my website... i will write you back later.

cheers,
steve

I follow your blog since some time now, its nice to see that you found our swedish outdoor forum. I cant help you with you plans though but good luck!

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.