Nybörjare söker råd

• Trådstartare it1.gonzo@memo.volvo.se (David Taub)
  • Start datum

it1.gonzo@memo.volvo.se (David Taub)

Gäst
Hi, I'm a beginner to the whole ski tour thing (I hope it's ok if I write in English) and was hoping to get some advice. I can read swedish, so you can answer me in Swedish if you prefer. I am hoping to do a ski tour in Sarek or somewhere nearby sometime and was trying to gather information on what I need to know to be able to do it.

I know how to cross country ski, at least on normal boring pre-made tracks, but I have some questions about a more serious tour.

First, what do you use for going up the longer and steeper hills. I assume normal Valla isn't going to cut it. I've heard something about "skins"?

Second, how do you go downhill? I can what you call "slalom" ski no problem, but this obviously won't work with cross country skis, at least not well. Do I have to learn telemarking? I've heard that for telemarking you need "special" telemarking skis a completely separate type than either slalom or cross country.

Third, can I use my normal cross country skis for a tour in Sarek? (the ones I use when I go to Långberget or Hovfjället for example) or do I need special skis?

Please email me any advice, links, suggestions, you may have to help me get started:
it1.gonzo@memo.volvo.se

Thanks,
David Taub

Anonym från gamla forumet

Gäst
Untitled

Hello David,

Skiing in the Swedish mountains in general is not extremely demanding on equipment and technique. If you are not planning to climb bigger mountains you do not need skins (stighudar) or telemark skis/technique. Most routes avoid the steeper slopes. What you do need are skis with steel sides (stålkanter) and good clothing, shovel and windsack to cope with bad weather. Another good idea is not to go alone.

However, when you mention Sarek as a destination it sound much more serious. There are no cabins, no tracks, risk for avalanches etc so you will have to carry all equipment (food, tent, sleeping bags etc.) in the sack, or preferrably a sleigh. Most people would avoid that area for the first visit.

For references, Claes Grundsten has written several books that could be of interest; among others Vandra Kungsleden 1-3 that include good descriptions on routes and that also have some info on winter conditions, equipment etc. The Svenska Turist Föreningen (STF) have good information on tours with cabins as well as suggestions on what equipment to bring.

http://www.stfturist.se/

Some recomendations on security issues that can be of help are at;

http://www.environ.se/fjallsakerhet/

Hope this can be of help.

HG

rjmh@cs.chalmers.se (John Hughes)

Gäst
Suggested tour

Why not tour in the Kebnekaise area? The scenery is dramatic,
but (if you choose the right tour) the skiing is easy and there are cottages to stay in. For example, ski from Kebnekaise to Singi and Sälka, the latter two on Kungsleden. I did this a couple of years ago and much enjoyed it, on ordinary tour skis (with steel edges) -- no problem. I would also recommend going on from Sälka towards Nallo, and turning right to go up to Unna Räita. That valley is fabulously beautiful -- the high point of my trip -- but the cottage at Unna Räita is very primitive in comparison to the others. Just a shack with a stove, really, room for four at a pinch and maybe six at an absolute maximum. We also skied from Tarfala over to Kaskasa-forgotten it, up the side of a glacier, which was very memorable, but that tour definitely requires climbing skins. Also some avalanche risk on this last bit, which the warden at Tarfalastugorna helped us avoid. Check with STF that the mountain stations and cottages are open, though, before attempting this tour.

It's a great comfort on this kind of tour to travel with a more experienced friend the first few times. After all, even if you carry a shovel, will you know what to do with it if a storm strikes? If you don't have one, try STF's organised tours: I've done that too, and had a lot of fun.

anders.lundgren@satellus.se (Anders Lundgren)

Gäst
Tips

Hi!
I recommend my friennds web-site. Everything in English and.... he´s an englishman on skis!
http://alpha2.bmc.uu.se/~markh/
Look under Lappland tours and sports!!

See ya!

Anders Lundgren

Liknande trådar
Trådstartare Titel Forum Svar Datum
Skutter nybörjare - turskidåkning Turskidåkning 8
fonkymon Abisko/Riksgränsen nybörjare Turskidåkning 17
santa_klaus Kort stugtur för nybörjare Turskidåkning 30
Askel Turåkning för nybörjare, var? Turskidåkning 3
UndrandeL Vad ska en nybörjare köpa? Turskidåkning 7
fannsan Hjälp en nybörjare till rätt turskidor Turskidåkning 5
aldehesse längd turskidor nybörjare Turskidåkning 4
cloud76 Turskidorfrågor - nybörjare Turskidåkning 6
Jörgen64 Skidsemester för nybörjare Turskidåkning 6
Kongidz Köpa rullskidor (nybörjare) Turskidåkning 5
nlinden Nybörjare på turskidning. Turskidåkning 4
Knetha Skidinköp till nybörjare Turskidåkning 1
boelresor Förslag på skidtur för nybörjare i fjällen Turskidåkning 1
Helena B Kortvasan - Nybörjare på skidor Turskidåkning 3
joakimrr Hjälp nybörjare hitta skidor Turskidåkning 12
Nettchen Åka kortvasa 2011 som nybörjare? Turskidåkning 6
totte Nybörjare: Turskidor för skog, fjäll och lite utför Turskidåkning 1
sanna.h Nybörjare Turskidåkning 8
piaea Nybörjare på turåkning - Tips Turskidåkning 1
zzeezz Nybörjare Turskidåkning 2
Toni_v_89 kan någon ge tips och råd?? nybörjare.. Turskidåkning 5
dreamteam Nybörjare på längdskidåkning (jo det är sant) Turskidåkning 4
O.Olsson Nybörjare behöver hjälp för att köpa ett vinterkit Turskidåkning 3
Lars Jonsson Vad ska jag köpa som nybörjare? Turskidåkning 6
Granbacken Nybörjare som behöver hjälp Turskidåkning 7
Zaijdan Kebenekajse-Ok för "nybörjare"? Turskidåkning 9
Katta Svajig nybörjare Turskidåkning 1
mothesta Turåkningsskidor till nybörjare Turskidåkning 10
Swedish Berman Super NYBÖRJARE Turskidåkning 1
kmsellin På tur aldrig sur - söker sällskap igenom Sarek Turskidåkning 1
robertkarlstrom Söker tursällskap turskidor slutet Januari Turskidåkning 0
Roussa Söker turpjäxa för bred fot Turskidåkning 3
camlun Söker tips på tur Turskidåkning 24
havskayak Hjälp - söker vallningsfria breda turskidor Turskidåkning 8
MLJ001 Söker turförslag, Kebnekaise Turskidåkning 0
i4lean Söker turföslag i jämtland tillgängligt från tåget Turskidåkning 8
Nyman Jag söker turtips i Grövelsjön på sportlovet Turskidåkning 1
stormfrog Tips och råd för vintertur med hund i djup lössnö? Turskidåkning 1
medicinmannen Råd angående skintec skidor Turskidåkning 3
seandeg Råd för nya till Turskidåkning Turskidåkning 7
Moh Ramundberget - Vålådalen råd önskas. Turskidåkning 3
em.thelander Råd o tips inför skidköp Turskidåkning 7
Medon Behöver lite tips och råd inför köp av turskidor Turskidåkning 19
DavidS Behöver råd om bindning Turskidåkning 3
tibloc Behöver hjälp/råd,tips! Turskidåkning 3
Roffis Ett gott råd! Turskidåkning 7
gaedda Råd för vinterturer Turskidåkning 2
Jolo Vita Blixten - råd!? Turskidåkning 1

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.