Jervenbag with down sleeping bag?

Hi all,

First post and apologies for the English. I've been surfing this website for a few years now thanks to Google Translate.

I'm leaving for an arctic survival class in Sweden next month. This means outdoor sleeping, no huts but the occasional snowhole and sleeping under trees.

I have a Jervenbag Thermo Hunter and I'm considering bringing it along, and put my mat and down sleeping bag in there. I wonder if people have tried this before for longer periods of time. Since Jerven is not that well known in the rest of Europe I figured I would have to ask the question here.

Will the weight of the Jervenbag flatten the down of the sleeping bag? Hence make the bag colder? Will the lack of breathability turn my sleeping bag into a soaking wet cloth?

I've used so far the Jervenbag mainly as a short term quick & dirty sleeping option, often in combination with an oldschool Buffalo bag. Because weight restrictions and the colder temperatures I need to opt for down now...

Will the Jervenbag make it worse or better? Anyone with hands-on experience? The class is a week and there will be *no* opportunity to dry gear in a hut.

Thanks!

I've done one winter night with the exact setup you are suggesting.
It works quite alright.
The weight pushing it down is not an issue. But there was quite a bit of frost everywhere in the morning, with no possibility to dry I would imagine that to be main concern. The last few days might get extra cold.

A very minor issue I remember was that since the jerven duk is a square there is no sort of natural position for it to leave an open room for your face. It sort of wants the spread out over your face and if you pull it down you move it more than you want it to. A very minor issue on a survival camp :) but it was something I kept trying to rearrange all through the night.

Since its survival training I would probably go for it myself. But if I where to take a full week trip where I wanted to sleep as well as possible I would pack heavier stuff.

Let us know how it worked out!

I've done one winter night with the exact setup you are suggesting.
It works quite alright.
The weight pushing it down is not an issue. But there was quite a bit of frost everywhere in the morning, with no possibility to dry I would imagine that to be main concern. The last few days might get extra cold.

A very minor issue I remember was that since the jerven duk is a square there is no sort of natural position for it to leave an open room for your face. It sort of wants the spread out over your face and if you pull it down you move it more than you want it to. A very minor issue on a survival camp :) but it was something I kept trying to rearrange all through the night.

Since its survival training I would probably go for it myself. But if I where to take a full week trip where I wanted to sleep as well as possible I would pack heavier stuff.

Let us know how it worked out!

I always use a vapour barrier liner in my sleeping bags when camping in the cold. If you do, you will keep your sleeping gear dry and free of ice.

...a simple VB can be made of two large plastic garbage liners, taped together.

Guaranteed to keep you dry, from the inside ;).

//J

I'm familiar with the concept of a VB but not really looking forward to be all sweaty and moist when I wake up at -20°C :), especially for a week long period. I know the theory (and practice) makes absolute sense but haven't been convinced enough to try it out.

On the flipside... I could use the Jerven bag in my sleeping bag, Jerven doesn't breath, it would make for the same effect.

I'm familiar with the concept of a VB but not really looking forward to be all sweaty and moist when I wake up at -20°C :), especially for a week long period. I know the theory (and practice) makes absolute sense but haven't been convinced enough to try it out.

On the flipside... I could use the Jerven bag in my sleeping bag, Jerven doesn't breath, it would make for the same effect.

Yes, good idea. If you turn the Jerven outside in you have a fully functional VBL. And more comfortable against any bare skin than a plastic version.

I suggest you try. You will wake up dry and toasty, sleeping in a VBL only make you sweat if you overheat.

//J

I suggest you try. You will wake up dry and toasty, sleeping in a VBL only make you sweat if you overheat.

//J

I was also sceptical at first but it's unbelievably good. Started using sleeping bag VBL this winter and will not go without again.

As Joru states I wake up warm and toasty and the moist / dampness of the thin sleeping clothes in not noticeable 1 minute after getting out of the sleeping bag.

Apart from keeping the sleeping bag dry and lofty it also adds a lot of heat IMO. -20 C, WM Puma GWS (rated -25F) and no VBL I have to close the sleeping bag complete to stay warm through the night. Same temperature, VBL added I and I slept with the bag only 2/3 zipped the entire night.

Hi,
Your inkoming adventure reminds me of a similar experience during a survival camp in northern Sweden in february some yers ago.

The first thing they did when we arrived at the place was to strip us of all personal equipment, and give us old swedish army stuff instead.

We had to fashion backpacks out of old sacks and sticks. As i remember it the sleeping bag seemed to be from the 60:s whit pushbuttons on top.
People had been planning what to bring for months, all in wain.

I'm sure this will not happen to you. The jervenbag and down sleeping system will work for a few nights, longer if you can dry out the moisture during the day.

Good luck. / Jesper.

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.