(english speaking resident) Finding Orientering Naturpasset signs in many places

Hi guys I am a new comer to Sweden, but have been hiking all over the world and gradually discovering swedish trails.

I did a few good ones recently and sometimes I come across some white / red hanging signs with the text "Orientering Naturpasset" and some numbers like 48N, 49T, etc.

I was curious what are these things? Is it like an outdoor game, or? What do you do with these?

thanks

Bilagor

• orientering-1-2.jpg
    orientering-1-2.jpg
    10.1 MB · Visningar: 125
Lokal orieneteering clubs put out these, sell maps to anyone intrested and you take your run, whenevere you want, in your own pace. In my neighbuorhodd, there was both running and biking options before at least..

A similar thing now, also both with running and biking options is "Hitta ut" (~= "find your way out"), that is available in many Swedish cities - maps on paper or in app.
"Hitta ut" had a great pick-up rate during Corona times

/Patrik

For instance I did the "Frösviksrundan" trail (close to the Bogesund Castle) today and could easily orient myself with just the normal trail marks on the trees, so not sure what the purpose of the "Orientering Naturpasset" signs is :
  1. - is it some form of competition where you get points and prizes for finding these "hidden" pins?
  2. - do they just want to help you discover more remote places outside the usual trails ?
  3. - or is it a form of "extra activity" when following a normal trail (already marked with the usual signs on trees, eg. red square, blue circles, etc) ?
Thank you.

The process is as follows:
1 Get a map. You can find out where on naturpasset.se, but a pretty safe bet is a local tourist spot or store. Usually costs like 40 SEK.
2 the map has controls marked. Go to them and note the codes.
3 Enter the codes on the Web page or where the instructions following the map tell you to.
4 If lucky you win some price.

Naturpasset is a recreational variant of the sport orienteering, where you have the whole summer usually to find like 30-40 controls in the forest (on and off trail).

God luck!

Yes, why not and not likely. Basically it is the competition, see: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orienteering but you do it in your own pace. Usually the control points are placed with varying levels of difficulty. It’s a nice sport, exercise for the body and the head as well. I haven’t practiced the sport except in school and during my military service.

Thanks for the advice.

Are those vaccines safe ? Are you guys taking it ?

I mean, I've had ticks bite me many times before and I'm still alive... had one in my leg a few weeks ago, but yes, you never really know with these things.

Thanks for the advice.

Are those vaccines safe ? Are you guys taking it ?

I mean, I've had ticks bite me many times before and I'm still alive... had one in my leg a few weeks ago, but yes, you never really know with these things.
I got vaccinated against TBE when I moved to Stockholm a few years ago, yes.
I also had encephalitis when I was young (not from ticks) and I do not recommend it. It's probably worse to get it as an adult. You're basically risking brain damage or even death, since encephalitis is inflammation of the brain.

I got vaccinated against TBE when I moved to Stockholm a few years ago, yes.
I also had encephalitis when I was young (not from ticks) and I do not recommend it. It's probably worse to get it as an adult. You're basically risking brain damage or even death, since encephalitis is inflammation of the brain.

Remember to refill TBE vaccination, every 3-5 years depending on manufacturer.

/Patrik, also living in tick-prone environment

Where do you go to get the TBE vaccine ?

"Vårdcentralen" - your local first line (non-urgent) medical treatment institution in Sweden. Might be private or owned by your region, depending on your preference/selection. Normally time booking required.
There is also sometimes a "vaccin bus" that makes a stop a a shopping mall during an announced day or so.

/Patrik

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.