The smell of the swamps in Sarek

Hello,

I've just returned from my second trip to Sarek, and there is one secret that I haven't resolved since two years.
Sometimes, when I was crossing the swampy areas I felt a storng, herbal scent - like a really good perfumes. I was trying to find a particular plant that gives it, but without success. I've also discussed it with other trekkers, they confirmed my observation but didn't know the plant either. Does anyone know what it could be?

Piotr

Bog-myrtle, Myrica gale (pors), is not present in this part of Scandinavia. But Labrador-tea, Rhododendron tomentosum (skvattram), is found here.

Skvattram has quite a nice smell, not so strong and for me a soft / round appearance.
Would not use it as perfume, more something I could imagine use in bathrooms.

Hello,

I've just returned from my second trip to Sarek, and there is one secret that I haven't resolved since two years.
Sometimes, when I was crossing the swampy areas I felt a storng, herbal scent - like a really good perfumes. I was trying to find a particular plant that gives it, but without success. I've also discussed it with other trekkers, they confirmed my observation but didn't know the plant either. Does anyone know what it could be?

Piotr

I think I know what smell you mean, it's quite strong and very pleasant, and stronger than skvattram, Rhododendron tomentosum. I think it's some sort of Carex, a type of grass very common on bogs and wet areas.

I think I know what smell you mean, it's quite strong and very pleasant, and stronger than skvattram, Rhododendron tomentosum. I think it's some sort of Carex, a type of grass very common on bogs and wet areas.
No Carex species is odorous. But a pleasant smelling grass species, Holy-grass, Hierochloë odorata (myskgräs), would be present in the valleys which may be a contender. However on "swampy areas", the Labrador Tea (skvattram) would seem more likely.

Skvattram luktar olika mycket beroende på väderlek och temperatur. Jag minns att jag som liten inte ens kunde vara i närheten av växten utan att börja må illa. Så helt angenäm är den inte alltid, "doften", för oss som har gott luktsinne.

Liknande trådar

Sova ute en natt i månaden

Anna och Anna har hittat det bästa ”lifehacket” någonsin – och upptäckt många naturreservat i sömnen.