paddling med barn

Hi everyone,

we are an active family of 4 people. Having a small child (3 years) we are thinking about kajaking trip within Sweden this summer. Does anyone knows a child friendly river(s) (can be a bit of whitewater for fun) or a route. Any advice regarding good maps/books is also very valuable for us. We plan to spend about two weeks.

Many thanks

Paddle only?

Hello,

We have done two paddle trips the last two years with our little boy (3.5 years as we speak....and quite stubborn...). We have choosen to use a canoe instead of kayak since the little guy is able to move around a little bit.

One first small tip is to go as late as possible due to the mosquitoes. We have been out the first half of September both times, which is both very beatiful due to all the colors and almost no bugs at all :)

The first trip was to Rogen in Härjedalen (far south in the swedish mountains). The most common starting point is Kärringsjön (you can get a map here https://kso.etjanster.lantmateriet.se/) and then paddle due west along the small lakes. A very nice area which we plan to revisit this fall. A trip in Rogen area can easily be extended into Femundsmarka in Norway.

The second trip was to Rapadalen in Sarek last year. We parked the car at the parking place close to Tjaktjajaure, paddled as far on the lake as we could get and then carried the equipment up to Lajtavrre. Then we continued into Rapariver delta almost up to Nammasj and the national park border. Which is as far as you are allowed to go by boat. The area is obviously quite small but very beatiful and rather seldom visited.

Hope you get a nice trip and nice weather!!!

/ Stefan

Hello,

We have done two paddle trips the last two years with our little boy (3.5 years as we speak....and quite stubborn...). We have choosen to use a canoe instead of kayak since the little guy is able to move around a little bit.

One first small tip is to go as late as possible due to the mosquitoes. We have been out the first half of September both times, which is both very beatiful due to all the colors and almost no bugs at all :)

The first trip was to Rogen in Härjedalen (far south in the swedish mountains). The most common starting point is Kärringsjön (you can get a map here https://kso.etjanster.lantmateriet.se/) and then paddle due west along the small lakes. A very nice area which we plan to revisit this fall. A trip in Rogen area can easily be extended into Femundsmarka in Norway.

The second trip was to Rapadalen in Sarek last year. We parked the car at the parking place close to Tjaktjajaure, paddled as far on the lake as we could get and then carried the equipment up to Lajtavrre. Then we continued into Rapariver delta almost up to Nammasj and the national park border. Which is as far as you are allowed to go by boat. The area is obviously quite small but very beatiful and rather seldom visited.

Hope you get a nice trip and nice weather!!!

/ Stefan

Stefan, thank you for an answer.
How long did it take you in both of the trips? Did you take canoe with you?

1-2 weeks

Hello again,

Sorry, totally missed your question.

The first trip to Rogen was a one week trip (we will go for two weeks to the same area this fall). And the trip to Rapadalen was a 2 week one.

But we have as a general "rule" that we try to move by canoe only every second day. With small kids a day in camp tends to be the best ones :)

And yes we have a canoe of our own.

/ Stefan

Hello again,

Sorry, totally missed your question.

The first trip to Rogen was a one week trip (we will go for two weeks to the same area this fall). And the trip to Rapadalen was a 2 week one.

But we have as a general "rule" that we try to move by canoe only every second day. With small kids a day in camp tends to be the best ones :)

And yes we have a canoe of our own.

/ Stefan

sounds very nice! one more question about the mosquitoes. Unfortunately we can not shift our trip, so we are thinking to go between 6th and 17th of August. How to choose the place that has less of those? Once we've been walking on Kungsleden at end of July and they were really aggressive. However, I got an impression there were less at some places.

Regarding the logistics with the car and the canoe. Do I understand it correct, someone just try to pick up the car and bring it to the destination point where the others are waiting, or are there better solutions?)

Almost impossible to know...

Hello,

Yes you are definitly right, there are definitly less mosquitoes in some areas, the only little problem is that it is almost impossible to predict were :)

Most of the time there are less mosquitoes over the tree line, but bascially no paddeling waters there.

How many mosquitoes you find in a specific area depends how the summer has been. This year has started very odd indeed with the by far warmest May in at least 250 years followed by a rather cold June so far. Been snowing up in Sarek and Kebnekaise. Normally I would say that Rogen area is better from a mosquitoe point of view, but that is far from certain if the current cold decimates the number of mosquitoes and flowers up north.

If you are flexible (going by car or bying tickets the last week or so...) the best option is to ask a local turist information (or here at utsidan) close to depature about the mosquitoe situation. If not I would recommend Rogen area.

Well, then giong to Rogen this fall we will go by car all of us. But then we have a foldable Ally canoe (http://www.kanotcentrum.se/Ally.html) which fits nicely in the car.....and is very nice to carry if there is some distance between lakes.

/ Stefan

I think Rogen and Sarek are good choices. But be careful on a big shallow cold lake lika Rogen. Keep close to the shore. A family died there 2015. To far out and cold water. The weather change quickly.
If you do Sarek, don't miss the Skierfe cliff
https://youtu.be/ZP2LWN5Urmg

Have a nice trip
Arvid

yes, we also have a foldable boat, here it is sold under the name Triton advanced Vuoksa :)
I wonder, do you paddle usually there and back, circles or do you move the car around, any other alternatives?

Try to do circels...

Well it is of course very nice to start in one place and then end at another. But in my world that requires that you can get to start and end by buss or train. Have done quite a few hikes like that!

But our paddel trips have all been back and forth. In the trip to Rogen this fal we will start in Kärringsjön and paddle over to Skedbrostugan by the small lakes (requires 5 short 100-400 meter lifts). Then we will hike down to Reva (carrying the canoe in a backpack) and continue into Femundsmarka. And then back again to Kärringsjön.

The Triton kayak looks very nice :)

/ Stefan

Liknande trådar
Trådstartare Titel Forum Svar Datum
Hanna76 Paddling med barn i Rogen naturreservat Paddling allmänt 8
Sara L Paddling med små barn? Paddling allmänt 18
tango Välja rätt torrdräkt för paddling? Paddling allmänt 15
-Ruff- Säkerhetstänk vid kraftverk/dammar? Paddling allmänt 6
Sven S Paddling i Vännäs? Paddling allmänt 2
Snödrivan Poncho för cykling och fika vid paddling Paddling allmänt 2
krilars Paddling från Åland till finland Paddling allmänt 15
aldrigsur Paddling med vildmarkskänsla Paddling allmänt 24
TazzRat Parkering Kloten (Långvattnet) för paddling Paddling allmänt 14
cheeredy Nekad paddling, hävdar att förenings regler går över allemansrätten Paddling allmänt 89
Rasmus_B Paddla i Nord-Norge (Lofoten, Vesterålen) Paddling allmänt 9
Wibrån Preben Mortensen, en inspiratör inom paddling, är död Paddling allmänt 4
WästyKajaky Expedition/ Långfärdspaddling Norge-Sverige.... Paddling allmänt 2
Urban packrafter Prisberömt packrafting film Earning a River Paddling allmänt 2
Wibrån Paddling genom Ålands å Åbolands skärgård Paddling allmänt 12
EricL Paddling ger bättre längd baksida lår? Paddling allmänt 16
Skafto_nordstrommarna Val av havskajak för paddling vid västkusten Paddling allmänt 17
LY90 Finns denna typ av paddling i Sverige/Norden? Paddling allmänt 2
avslutmedlemskap0904 Paddling i Finland större sjöar Paddling allmänt 3
GertF Paddling och åska. Paddling allmänt 13
Rinte Förbudsområden Paddling allmänt 3
Musiktoken Paddling Stekenjokk - Ransarån - Marsån - Malgomaj - Vilhelmina Paddling allmänt 7
Urban packrafter Ny film Paddling i Tresticklans National Park Paddling allmänt 1
Hylje Paddling Backe/Rossön/Fjällsjö Paddling allmänt 0
G.Kraft Å paddling kring Stockholm? Paddling allmänt 4
Zlagge Nikkaluokta - Kalix paddling längs Kalixälven Paddling allmänt 2
igs Paddling i Polen Paddling allmänt 0
hirro Avdomnad hand efter 30 minuters paddling Paddling allmänt 12
Peter_Östberg Paddling Helsingfors-Prangli-Pedassaar-Helsingfors, samt SKEG Paddling allmänt 0
fiskpropeller Ny inom paddling. Söker tips på kajaker. Paddling allmänt 18
Willetjåkkå Paddling Norr om Stockholm Paddling allmänt 3
igs Paddling runt Siljan Paddling allmänt 3
ackepacke Kajakfilm om paddling Marstrand - Fjällbacka Paddling allmänt 0
avslutmedlemskap0904 Kläder för paddling Paddling allmänt 14
calmelon Paddling med fiske norrut Paddling allmänt 2
Kal-P-Dal Paddling och prylar Paddling allmänt 10
Elin75 Söker snabbt svar om paddling vid Ingarö/Björnö Paddling allmänt 0
calypso63 Fira Nationaldagen med paddling Paddling allmänt 0
YvonneJson Paddling på Nya Zeeland? Paddling allmänt 2
parber Paddling med möjlighet att klättra Paddling allmänt 9
Sam Andersson Längre paddling i sommar helt novice... Än så länge Paddling allmänt 3
fingret Tips på paddling för 2 nybörjare (1 vecka) Paddling allmänt 6
davst Paddling i Misterhults skärgård - trailer :-) Paddling allmänt 7
rois Paddling i Ivösjön Paddling allmänt 0
Kangos123 Paddling från Kanogs till Luleå sommaren 2015 Paddling allmänt 0
utesälen Paddling i lä vid Orust/Tjörn Paddling allmänt 4
ElNisso Paddling i Sjaunja Paddling allmänt 12
Snuggles88 Enklare paddling i värmland Paddling allmänt 4
igs Paddling på Åland Paddling allmänt 21
saclawes Stand up paddling Paddling allmänt 7

Liknande trådar