Northern Kungsleden - snow in early June?

Hi,

I would like to hike the Kungsleden from Kvikkjokk to Abisko in early June (8.6. to 20.6.) this year. Does somebody know the situation for this year?

How much snow is there expected? I know it is generally not recommended in early June. I do have gear for around 0°C and will bring everything with me but I don't have snowshoes. If there is some high snow - where is it? Is there some way to go around? Should I rather choose more southern part of the northern Kungsleden (from Kvikkjokk down)?

The snow is a problem but the big problem is the water. It is not pleasant to hike this distance this time of the year. Try a "låglandsled" instead!

Thank You!

I am sorry I was not able to find pretty much any information about this route on google. I am not a swedish speaker. Could you please send me a link? I would like to walk roughly 200 km in 12 days in a "swedish northern type of nature" :)

There will be almost certainly snow everywhere in the mountains along Kungsleden, no matter if Kvikkjokk or Abisko. The time of snowmelt is dangerous. There's rivers in places where there are usually none on the map, avalanches and unstable ice. You have to make sure you inform yourself of which conditions are awaiting you before you head out.

The hiking season in Northern Lapland normally starts around midsummer. Then the bridges are normally in place and the boat services are operating. The huts normally open then as well. Before midsummer you will have problem with snow and large quantities of melting water. I would recommend that you start your hike at the end of June.

Early June is always going to be tough, as mentioned above, but the current snow situation could make for an early start to the season. The spring flood was a bit of a problem on my first hike last season, around June 26th in Kebnekaise, but then again the snow situation was vastly different to this year's (104cm difference in Riksgränsen). I still wouldn't recommend going as early as early June, but it sure looks as if it's going to be a better year for early hiking than in recent years. I, for one, am planning on going up around the 20th.

Bilagor

• snödjup.jpg
    snödjup.jpg
    20.3 KB · Visningar: 876
I called my cousin that lives up there and he said that over 700 m there is snow everywhere, then again, it is currently +20 C in Abisko right now. If this weather continues you might be in luck.

He also mentioned the lack of boat service on the southern parts.

Liknande trådar

Liknande trådar

Glöm allt du lärt dig om vandringsskor

Sneakers och löparskor kan vara bekväma för enklare promenader, men de är inte designade för de utmaningar som vandring kan erbjuda. Ojämn terräng, ...