Ticks in Sarek

I heard there are some ticks in Scandinavia which can give one a tbe-virus.

What do you do when you are in a place like Sarek after you got bitten?
Besides taking it out and storing in a plastic bag, should I ask for an extraction using my satellite phone or just keep on hiking?

Besides taking it out and storing in a plastic bag, should I ask for an extraction using my satellite phone or just keep on hiking?

Being outdoors in southern Sweden very often results in getting ticks. What one do then is to remove it as soon as possible. I prefer to burn the ticks (after removal) so I am sure that they surely will die.

Apart from that you just continue your hike. The longer the tick's is attached to you the higher chance of transmitting the disease (only small number of actual ticks has diseases). If the tick has disease chance of transmitting is small if only sitting for a very short time.

Keep and eye on the place where you had the bite by the tick some weeks after to look for signs of borealia: https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/rashes/lyme-disease

With that said I have never heard about anyone getting ticks in the mountainous region of Sweden,

... should I ask for an extraction using my satellite phone or just keep on hiking?

Is this a serious question? If you are so anxious and afraid I would strongly advise you not to go hiking in the wilderness.

By the way, if you have been infected by TBE there is nothing you can do anyway ;-) Just wait. But you can get vaccinated.

There are no ticks in Sarek but a lot of other dangers. As I said before think about hiking in more civilized regions.

Hur uttrycker du dej människa!?

Is this a serious question? If you are so anxious and afraid I would strongly advise you not to go hiking in the wilderness.

By the way, if you have been infected by TBE there is nothing you can do anyway ;-) Just wait. But you can get vaccinated.

There are no ticks in Sarek but a lot of other dangers. As I said before think about hiking in more civilized regions.

Wow, never read such nasty and mean in Utsidan forum! Sigh!

If you are by yourself, it is sometimes difficult to get a grip on a small tick if it is placed at an award position. It should be removed at once when spotted.
A remover in plastic is efficient and weights only a few g.
Buy one in a pharmacy and bring, if you are anxious about getting ticks.
https://www.apotea.se/tick-2-fastin...LaFpZd0Ok0DO8LaAxfqkqgxZzUGRdB0RoCFpcQAvD_BwE

But as already mentioned, ticks do not live very well in the north, and that is not a TBE area anyhow.

Wow, never read such nasty and mean in Utsidan forum! Sigh!

Sorry that you feel like that. My commentary was not supposed to be nasty, just honest.

If someone can not (or do not want to) do the most basic research like writing ”tbe AND wikipedia” in the internetbrowser (which would have rendered all necessary information) and if one is so anxious than one seriously thinks about calling Fjällrädningen for evacuation after an tickbite (which very rarely leads to clinically relevant TBE even where it is endemic) - then I seriously want to question that person’s choice of Sarek as hiking area.

Being critical is not being mean.

you are right but...

Sorry that you feel like that. My commentary was not supposed to be nasty, just honest.

If someone can not (or do not want to) do the most basic research like writing ”tbe AND wikipedia” in the internetbrowser (which would have rendered all necessary information) and if one is so anxious than one seriously thinks about calling Fjällrädningen for evacuation after an tickbite (which very rarely leads to clinically relevant TBE even where it is endemic) - then I seriously want to question that person’s choice of Sarek as hiking area.

Being critical is not being mean.

When you write like this you have right, this is constructive and honest. That i reacted on was written in a disrespectful way. You can be critical and polite at same time, best regards from me

You don’t have to worry about any ticks in Sarek or in the Swedish mountain areas, they can’t survive due to the hard and cold winter conditions.
In the more tempered area of the country like southern Sweden and along the coast of the Baltic even as far north as Umeå you may find ticks. If you hike in these areas you should inspect your body daily and remove any ticks as you see them, then keep on hiking. The areas where TBE has been reported are more limited and can be found on a map (one exemplet is the map foundation on the link below). If you plan to hike or spend time in these areas, investing in a TBE vaccinations (you need several shots on defined intervals) can be a good idea.
https://cdn.healthcare.se/tbe/wp-content/uploads/sites/264/2014/08/sweden-tbe-map.jpg

Note that ticks are found in large areas and many countries of the world, some transmitting diseases far worse than found in Scandinavia.

Senast ändrad:
Thanks a lot guys!
It's really calming to hear they are not an issue in the mountains, I might check these details again before going to south Sweden.

And as for my preparedness of going to Sarek, I understand the concern, but this won't be my first time in these areas. I wanted to get more details to assure my wife since she stumbled upon a recent article about this tick transmitted virus.

Liknande trådar

Glöm allt du lärt dig om vandringsskor

Sneakers och löparskor kan vara bekväma för enklare promenader, men de är inte designade för de utmaningar som vandring kan erbjuda. Ojämn terräng, ...