Boots/shoes for Sarek in the summer

I've hiked some parts of Kungsleden this year and last year and used merrel mid-moab with goretex
On one hand they didn't get wet so easily, but on the other hand my feet got sweaty and if they did get wet from rain/mud I had a hard time drying them

I'm considering something a lot tougher like the columbia daska pass II/III, however I'm afraid again I'll have a hard time drying them also since Sarek doesn't have trees for making a fire everywhere, but only in forests.

I was also recommended going for the ultralight trail runners approach. They can be dried easily but are not resistant to water at all.

Bilagor

• sarek shoes.jpg
    sarek shoes.jpg
    15.9 KB · Visningar: 848
Love it!

I am using Inov8 Talon and also been hiking in Sarek with them. I just love them. Of course, if you have a very heavy load (> 20 kilogram) you might need something like an "army boot". Also if you expect to go long distances in snow you might need a boot to not get to cold.

Neoprene socks or Sealskinz helps to keep it warmer!

As you say yourself - you will get wet anyway. No problem with that as long as you take care of your feets at the end of the day.

I am using Inov8 Talon and also been hiking in Sarek with them. I just love them. Of course, if you have a very heavy load (> 20 kilogram) you might need something like an "army boot". Also if you expect to go long distances in snow you might need a boot to not get to cold.

Neoprene socks or Sealskinz helps to keep it warmer!

As you say yourself - you will get wet anyway. No problem with that as long as you take care of your feets at the end of the day.

No problem with weight
I will probably have about 15kg, maybe a bit more

What socks do you use?
I had a coolmax liners and wool socks over them the last time, would you recommend replacing the wool for sealskinz?

I have the same tip as Jörgen. I hiked with a Lundhags Vandra ws mid this summer. We had the luxury of staying in cabins during the night. My shoes were dry every morning but my friend with a goretex shoe were still completly wet.

When I bought my shoes I did it with the assumption that I'm a clumpsy person who will get water in my shoe eventually. Then I wish to have an extra sole and pairs of dry socks and my shoe will be dry again. That is the advantage of a single layer shoe. The down side is more maintenance of the shoes and that there is a longer time for breaking them in, I have not had a single blister but the shaft was a bit hard in the beginning. 150 km later I have learned how to tie the shoes better and the shaft has bent as I want them to a greater extent = great shoes to walk in. Now my legs and feet feel suprisingly fresh after a 20km walk. (though I have not tried them with a 15 kg backpack yet!)

Lundhags shoes seem interesting, but I haven't seen any of these here in Israel
Do you any other brand who makes single layer shoes?

I made 2 tips to Sarek this summer with trailrunners and woolsocks. I have used lundhags for many years before but prefer trailrunners

I’d also recommend trail runners. I used a pair of Inov-8 Roclite 295 with a double pair of wool socks, and sealskins for camp. I didn’t get my feet wet more than a couple of times during my trip, since I mostly stayed above timber line where it’s drier.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I'm using Meindl Island Pro, works fine once carefully waxed to keep the water outside of the leather (don't expect Goretex to keep your feets dry). You do also need to be careful that you don't step to deep in water or mud to get wet inside your boots, as they will take days to dry again (there Lundhags or single layer boots are a better alternative).
Once in Sarek, you also need some other type of shoes when crossing streams. For that purpose and as camp shoes I'm using Crocs.

Sarek as compared to the most of Kungsleden is a National Park, and in particular Sarek is well protected by regulations, why I recommned that you study these as well as the safety recommendations to make your hike more enjoyable:
http://www.nationalparksofsweden.se...al-park/visitor-information/safety-and-rules/

I’d also recommend trail runners. I used a pair of Inov-8 Roclite 295

I actually think I'll go with these since I already have another pair and know my size

Sarek as compared to the most of Kungsleden is a National Park, and in particular Sarek is well protected by regulations, why I recommned that you study these as well as the safety recommendations to make your hike more enjoyable:
http://www.nationalparksofsweden.se...al-park/visitor-information/safety-and-rules/

These seem reasonable. Actually, I didn't know you could fish in Sarek, thought it was forbidden since hunting is.

Hard question

No problem with weight
I will probably have about 15kg, maybe a bit more

What socks do you use?
I had a coolmax liners and wool socks over them the last time, would you recommend replacing the wool for sealskinz?

I prefer knee-high Sealskinz and nothing more but I do not have sensitive feets. Maybe you need a liner as well.

The problem with the Sealskinz is that they will only last a few days (for me at least) before the membran is punctured. Therefore I don´t use them when the weather is ok, only when it´s a bit cold.

When walking in fair weather I use nylon socks and nothing more.

I have sized my shoes so that when waking in Sealskinz I don´t use any innersoles, only when walking in nylon socks. The reason is that the Sealskinz are rather thick and I hate to big shoes when walking in nylon socks.

I actually think I'll go with these since I already have another pair and know my size

These seem reasonable. Actually, I didn't know you could fish in Sarek, thought it was forbidden since hunting is.

The information says it's forbidden to fish in Sarek unless explicitly stated that it's allowed (using a valid fishing permit). I'm not aware of any place in Sarek where fishing is allowed, so leave the fishinggear at home when you visit Sarek as I do..

Liknande trådar

Glöm allt du lärt dig om vandringsskor

Sneakers och löparskor kan vara bekväma för enklare promenader, men de är inte designade för de utmaningar som vandring kan erbjuda. Ojämn terräng, ...