Some record info, my own and some other interesting anecdotes, just for your
- Largest amount of liquid in one day: 28 liters. Taklamakan Desert summer 1997.
- Cheapest Hotel: 12,5 cents, Jalalabad, Afghanistan, 1997.
- Longest period without a shower: 72 days. Xizang/Tibet, winter 1997.
- Highest altitude with my bike fully loaded: 5585m, Semo Pass, winter 1997.
- Longest period without seeing a human being: 9 days, Gar Valley summer, 1999.
- Longest uphill: 728m-5119m, 150km, Dholalghat-YarlungShan/Tong pass, winter 1997.
- Most aggressive dog: Chased me for 35km, Qamdo area, spring 1996. More about this!
- Longest distance with full load: 379km, Sweden 2001.
- Maximum meters climbed in one day (full load): 3100m Colombia 1998.
- Lowest number of flats: "Schizotour" 0 during 16 months.
- Highest number of flats: 18 in one day, China-Nepal,1996.
- Longest time as a "non-stop cyclist" (of the ones I've personally met). When I
met him: 13 years, 220 000km, 131 countries. (He is still on the road, just passed 400
000km), Ramchandra, India.
- Short-term cyclist: Mattias, 50 minutes (Islamabad airport-central Islamabad). "The
traffic is insane here and it's hot...Screw this!
- Heaviest load (without trailer): over 80kg, Carl, Canada.
- Lightest load: Josh, one repairpatch+pump+Visacard (West Palm Beach-Seattle).
- Non-stopper: Tom Toffler: one break day from Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego (had to weld the
bike in Costa Rica after being hit by car).
- Most desperate for legend status: Norwegian biker one a one-gear post bicycle from
Venezuela, dressed in the Venezuelan postal workers uniform, with post panniers for his
- Musician: Bart, traveling with an altsaxophone complete with metal box.
- Music fanatic: Stein, 120 cassettes, four speakers and loads of batteries.
- Most practical?: Chris. Using his stack of newspapers for: 1. Sleeping mat. 2. For
toilet businesses. 3. For making campfires. 4. For travel literature. Complete with a
newspaper stand (up-side-down turned rack) on top of the rest of the gear on the back
- Most practical 2?: Chris. Rolls up his tent without taking some of the gear out.
"Why bother? I have to put the stuff in there tonight anyway".
- Most affluent: Alex. Tweed suit and attaché case. "You gotta travel with some sort
of class, even on a bike".
- Longest time on the road: Frank Van Rijn and Heinz Stucke. Both have been cycling around
the world for over 30 years and none of them have any plans to stop.
- "I'm-going-to-cycle-every-meter-fanatic"1: Johann. Buried bike and gear, to
hitch back to a town where he could find spare parts.
- "I'm-going-to-cycle-every-meter-fanatic"2. Jorg. Adamant about going back 350
km to a tunnel he wasn't allowed to cycle in. "I know it's just a matter of 50
meters, but it's a principle"!
- Most angry comment when having a flat: "I hate cycling, I hate the whole fucking
human race, I hate the whole fucking world!" I don't think the person who said it
would be very happy if I revealed her name here...
- Most positive: Albert. "Rain is just liquid sun"!